Whose Responsibility Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a major Civil Project, if the specs are not quite clear about who has the responsibility of concrete manhole installation and proper location, should the electrical contractor be in charge of that? Is the GC in position of demanding so?:confused:

Cavie

In a major Civil Project, if the specs are not quite clear about who has the responsibility of concrete manhole installation and proper location, should the electrical contractor be in charge of that? Is the GC in position of demanding so?:confused:

Get an RFI from the Engineer of Record.

luckyshadow

What page of the drawings show the manholes?
The civil drawings? the electrical site drawings?
Another item to ponder is WHO is using these manholes? Are they placed for ease of pulling feeders, splitting of a duct bank and such things.

What page of the drawings show the manholes?
The civil drawings? the electrical site drawings?
Another item to ponder is WHO is using these manholes? Are they placed for ease of pulling feeders, splitting of a duct bank and such things.

Manholes appears in both discipline site drawings, civil and electrical as well. Use is solely for power, but i think that regardless of who is the final user, it should falls under the civil scope of works.

gbudke

Do you have a spec book for the project? Even if it is drawn on both prints only one contractor will be responsible, and the spec book will state in it which contractor is responsible. Read the book very carefully.

One way to look at this is to take a look at the building. It is the responsiblity of the GC, although the EC is wiring it.

For manholes, I have seen it go both ways. Larger projects I have seen the EC purchase and set the boxes, while the GC does the digging and grading.
I am on a project where there are a lot of manholes going in, possible more that 100 of them. The EC is digging, setting and regrading all of them. He has purchased some nice equipment.

I know this does not help you, but it may just put in perspective that it can go either way, depending on the project.

ron

Often the engineers drawing/specs use a standardize CSI numbering system. The engineer (at least me) does not usually care which trade installs them. as long as they get installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.