Why corrode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
image.jpg image.jpg
Hey you guys are smarter than Why should this corrode?
We are not by the sea.
It's gets a little damp but not too bad.
copper conductors.
Thx

dicklaxt

maybe a manufacturing oops with dissimilar metals or wrong anti corrosion spray at install,,,,,your guess is as good as mine.

dick

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Acid atmosphere?

Looking at the rust on the bottom of the enclosure tells me that water has been getting in there from up above like maybe a bad or loose hub or what ever fitting is on the top of the socket. Heck, maybe even the weatherhead. I'd like to see the whole service.

RICK NAPIER

maybe a manufacturing oops with dissimilar metals or wrong anti corrosion spray at install,,,,,your guess is as good as mine.

dick
There is corrosion on the grounding bushing which would not have come with the meter socket. So I would say the cause has to do with the environment it is in, possibly a leak as was mentioned.

mnbiker

is this meter socket in a cold climate, maybe the panel in warm humid part of the house (laundry room). up here in minnesota we usally insulate (duct seal, thumb gum)the conduit between the socket and panel. helps with drafts and condensation. just a shot in the dark...

hurk27

Noting that this meter socket is mounted on stucco, one thing come to mind, was the stucco pressure washed in the last year with a acid or alkaline based cleaner?.

Pressure washers are like mice, they will get into the tightest spots and can render even what should be water proof full of water, a rain tight meter cabinet doesn't stand a chance.

kwired

Electron manager
Noting that this meter socket is mounted on stucco, one thing come to mind, was the stucco pressure washed in the last year with a acid or alkaline based cleaner?.

Pressure washers are like mice, they will get into the tightest spots and can render even what should be water proof full of water, a rain tight meter cabinet doesn't stand a chance.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

north star

+ + +

"Look at the meter sockets they are corroded."
I DID see the corroded sockets......Just wondering why the conductors
are not equally corroded, if a powered spray washer is the culprit,
...which I believe, may be the cause.

+ + +

kwired

Electron manager
+ + +

I DID see the corroded sockets......Just wondering why the conductors
are not equally corroded, if a powered spray washer is the culprit,
...which I believe, may be the cause.

+ + +

Conductors are made of a different metal and may not react the same way to whatever agent is corroding the other items.

renosteinke

Looks to me like a classic case of the zinc fittings sacrificially corroding to protect the iron.

Sure, dissimilar metal contact can be part of it (not much, considering how close zinc is to iron in electrical terms), but it looks more to me that moisture is the cause. Any "salt" (that can be many things besides table salt) in the moisture would only accellerate the corrosion.

The 'fuzz' is basically other minerals "plating" themselves to the zinc - another indication that atmospheric conditions are to blame.

Why isn't the copper corroding? Remember, the zinc will sacrifice itself to protect the copper. This is often deliberately done for transformers, propane tanks, and boat propellers: attach something containing zinc to protect the expensive parts.

Last edited:

north star

$ $ $ $

In looking at the pics. further, it appears as though the top
[ panel ] anchor bolts are not as corroded as the bottom 2.
I can't really tell by the pics. though!.....Need a little more
clarity.

Maybe
**wyreman** can provide some more details to this
application.....If environmentally caused, shouldn't the
corrosion be semi-equally developed everywhere? :?

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Guys I didn't think anybody was even
going to reply to this.
I Didn't see any new email notifications

I went there for different complaint
I only discovered the socket
when I yanked the meter
That morning.

30 feet away indoors as a remote distribution that has the same exact problem and that was apparently because of the whole house flicker.

I swapped that out and now we're waiting for his approval to change the Periscope and the socket

The closest answer seems to be
environmental conditions
its kind of damp there
there's not a lot of temperature variations

The house was not pressure washed lately
That this new owner knows of

It must be environmental in the air
because the remote panel indoors
In the garage had the same look to it. image.jpg

Let me see what I can post some better pictures when I get to computer

I actually had another question about adding a panic button old house lights flashing alarm bellringing system to existing finished fancy house I was going to posted another question :)

And I just came from another house that was from one of Ronald Reagan's coworkers and they have the whole thing wired up with the Leviton 6312 and the panic button and that's sort of what I want a little inside

north star

# # #

Thanks for the update **wyreman**!.....To all of the "it's
the environment" posters, ...you all get a gold star for your
excellent observation and detective skills! :D

# # #

kwired

Electron manager
going to reply to this.

when I yanked the meter
That morning.

30 feet away indoors as a remote distribution that has the same exact problem and that was apparently because of the whole house flicker.

I swapped that out and now we're waiting for his approval to change the Periscope and the socket

environmental conditions
its kind of damp there

In the garage had the same look to it. View attachment 7678

I actually had another question about adding a panic button old house lights flashing alarm bellringing system to existing finished fancy house I was going to posted another question :)

And I just came from another house that was from one of Ronald Reagan's coworkers and they have the whole thing wired up with the Leviton 6312 and the panic button and that's sort of what I want a little inside
Is water able to follow those conductors from the meter right into the lug inside the panel in that photo? There may be no environmental issue indoors other than it is arranged for water containing acids or something to flow right into the panel from outside.

fmtjfw

going to reply to this.

when I yanked the meter
That morning.

environmental conditions
its kind of damp there

In the garage had the same look to it. View attachment 7678

You will note that the large neutral shows signs of corrosion at the edge of the insulation. Then the steel screw is corroded and the neutrals directly below. Bet water is wicking in the large neutral.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Now that you mention it, the distribution is at a lower elevation than the socket
The only corrosion was on the neutral but a little on the phase wires which are below, but closer to level with the socket

Light bulb
I now believe the wicking theory
With some kind of acid environment at the socket

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.