Will 220V and 230V 3 phase equipment work on 208V 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a client that is relocating their equipment to a diffrent building. The existing service they are using now is 240/120 high delta three phase system. The service to this new commercial warehouse is 208/120 3 phase. I have this particular wood cutting machines (made in Europe) that they plan on relocating to this new building. According to their data sheet they all require 220V or 230V three phase, no mention of 208V which worries me a little and especially since it is manufactured at a different country. I was not able to get a hold of the manufacturer, not even sure if they are still in business. I suspect the 220V will be fine on 208V, but i worry about the 230V ones. Should i provide a buck-boost transformer for those machines? Also, do they make 208-240/120 3 phase dry type transformers? I was not able to find any online from manufacturers like square d or cutler hammer. Thank you

synchro

Occupation
EE
... I have this particular wood cutting machines (made in Europe) that they plan on relocating to this new building. According to their data sheet they all require 220V or 230V three phase, no mention of 208V which worries me a little and especially since it is manufactured at a different country. ...

What does the data sheet say regarding the frequency requirement? If they were designed for 50 Hz, then comparing volts/Hz we have 230V/50Hz = 4.6, 240V/60Hz = 4.0, and 208V/60Hz = 3.47. 208V would be going in the wrong direction as far as achieving adequate current and torque.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
wood cutting machines (made in Europe)
240 Delta is very common for woodworking equipment generally so its best to get the right service for the industry up front. I recommend having the POCO swap out or reconfigure the bank to be a 240 HI leg Delta or provide that class of service with a new service. 208/120 is just never used in the wood products industry.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If a motor is designed for 230V 50Hz, giving it 208V 60Hz will decrease the torque capability of the motor to 75% of rated, plus the PEAK torque capability, what the motor uses to re-accelerate after a load is applied, is reduced to just 57% of normal. That is significant enough to warrant concern. Ideally, to get full torque out of the motors you would need to boost to 276V, but if it has been working OK on 240V I would just do that.

kwired

Electron manager
My guess is if it was already being used on 120/240 delta @60 Hz, the frequency issue is not a problem.

These motors will draw more current if loaded the same amount on a 208 system. Question might be how hard were they loaded vs their output rating? If not heavily loaded chances are they will work for a very long time, if they were near maximum rating and run fairly continuously, you very well might shorten their lifetime if you operate them on a 208 volt supply.

If you don't want to take the chance then either change supply or service voltage or use buck boost transformer on this piece of equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.