will Eaton breakers pass for Bryant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
An American Switch Co. panel allows Bryant breakers according to the label. I special ordered Bryant on line and the all came as Eaton and Cutler Hammer. Will those pass for an inspection ?
The on line co. said they are Bryant, but they are not. Expensive breakers I could have bought locally a lot cheaper. Salesman says they are the same. Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
An American Switch Co. panel allows Bryant breakers according to the label. I special ordered Bryant on line and the all came as Eaton and Cutler Hammer. Will those pass for an inspection ?
The on line co. said they are Bryant, but they are not. Expensive breakers I could have bought locally a lot cheaper. Salesman says they are the same. Thank you.

They may well be the same breaker with a different label on it.

growler

They should be acceptable. Cutler BR breakers.

I would probably high light that on the label so the inspector can see it. Or better still be there for the inspection.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
They should be acceptable. Cutler BR breakers.

I would probably high light that on the label so the inspector can see it. Or better still be there for the inspection.
I am still kind of upset with the breaker on line company for reassuring me that are were ‘Bryant’ breakers. I guess I can’t get ‘Bryant ‘ anywhere ?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am still kind of upset with the breaker on line company for reassuring me that are were ‘Bryant’ breakers. I guess I can’t get ‘Bryant ‘ anywhere ?

They have been passed around. Someone here knows the history. They were Westinghouse for a while. Our CH dealer stocked them as Bryant for a number years then it changed again. IDR the order.

How much did you save by ordering online? Onlines not better if you get junk, even if they will take it back. Wasted time at the least.

I’m thinking the big box stores stock some CH BR style in our area.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Bryant was absorbed into Westinghouse ages ago before most of us were born, Bryant has not existed as a stand alone company since the turn of the PREVIOUS century. Bryant then just existed as a brand name WITHIN the Westinghouse product lines.

Westinghouse went belly up about 30 years ago and most of it's Low Voltage gear was bought by Eaton, who by that time already had bought out Cutler Hammer (who was already brand-labeling Westinghouse products anyway) but C-H had their own line of breakers that were different, so Eaton just incorporated the Westinghouse / Bryant breaker product lines as the "BR" series within the C-H line, which is why they have separate product lines to this day.

So technically, Eaton BR Series breakers ARE the old Bryant breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.