will you pass this installtion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would plug a 3 wire cord cap into a GFCI marked "No Ground Present," drill or saw or whatever. I assume the reason it is allowed to change out 2/prong receptacle to GFCI receptacle (in areas not otherwise required to have GFCI) is to make it safe to do so?

Not really. It is mostly to make it safer to plug in loads with two wire cords. The GFCI manufacturers do not make GFCI 2-wire receptacles because they could only be used for replacement of old 2-wire installed with no ground available. Not enough of a market to justify it, and too great a chance that it would be installed where it should not be.

But it could be at least marginally safer than plugging in a 3-wire cord by using an adapter that did not provide a ground either. Or it might be worse. Depends on what kind of fault you expect to happen most often:

Would you rather have the appliance frame or case floating with no GFCI protection in case of a fault or bonded to the neutral so that a fault somewhere else could energize it directly? To me that is a difficult choice to make, and one that is not necessary if you block the ground hole.

kwired

Electron manager
Not really. It is mostly to make it safer to plug in loads with two wire cords. The GFCI manufacturers do not make GFCI 2-wire receptacles because they could only be used for replacement of old 2-wire installed with no ground available. Not enough of a market to justify it, and too great a chance that it would be installed where it should not be.

But it could be at least marginally safer than plugging in a 3-wire cord by using an adapter that did not provide a ground either. Or it might be worse. Depends on what kind of fault you expect to happen most often:

Would you rather have the appliance frame or case floating with no GFCI protection in case of a fault or bonded to the neutral so that a fault somewhere else could energize it directly? To me that is a difficult choice to make, and one that is not necessary if you block the ground hole.

Safer to plug in two wire cords? What about the millions of two wire cords plugged into outlets with a connected EGC with no GFCI protection? Equipment with a two wire cord either has no metal shell to become energized or is designed that any such surfaces are not likely to become energized. GFCI protects both grounded and non grounded items. Having a functioning EGC does reduce the risk of users getting shocked, If a fault occurs to a working EGC, the GFCI likely trips before user is subjected to any fault current, but that risk is mostly dependent on situations of each case. In the case of having no EGC, the GFCI will still trip when enough current imbalance flows, but there is higher risk that more current may flow through a user if there is no low impedance grounded paths in the fault circuit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Safer to plug in two wire cords? What about the millions of two wire cords plugged into outlets with a connected EGC with no GFCI protection? Equipment with a two wire cord either has no metal shell to become energized or is designed that any such surfaces are not likely to become energized. GFCI protects both grounded and non grounded items. Having a functioning EGC does reduce the risk of users getting shocked, If a fault occurs to a working EGC, the GFCI likely trips before user is subjected to any fault current, but that risk is mostly dependent on situations of each case. In the case of having no EGC, the GFCI will still trip when enough current imbalance flows, but there is higher risk that more current may flow through a user if there is no low impedance grounded paths in the fault circuit.
Maybe my wording was not clear. What I intended to say was that putting a GFCI on an a circuit which has no EGC makes it safer to use two wire loads than it would have been with just a two wire outlet and no GFCI. That's all.
The separate issue which is more contentious is what good or harm does it do to have the grounding conductor present in the receptacle but not actually grounded. That by itself will have no effect at all on two wire loads, just on three wire loads that depend on the grounded conductor for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.