Will You Retire

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've already been informed there is no retirement for me. So the only hope is I die on a ladder, not crippled and sleeping in a ditch.
Too many years not getting any real money and working at poverty wages. I raised my rates and get less work and make the same or less annually.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I've already been informed there is no retirement for me. So the only hope is I die on a ladder, not crippled and sleeping in a ditch.
Too many years not getting any real money and working at poverty wages. I raised my rates and get less work and make the same or less annually.
There is nothing wrong with working less and making the same, is there?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't get how some on this site claim to be able to charge in excess of $150/hr and turning work away. Around here the handyman and GC charges $20/45/hr and doing electrical work, no insurance, no permit, no inspections, and as long as the lights come on no one blinks. I as an electrician must carry insurance and get permits and inspections, pay for continuing Ed, and still looked at as if charging more than the GC $45 is a rip off, at least until they had some issue that the GC can't figure out, then you're a momentary hero.
Too old too late to look at a different trade even if I was so inclined, If it wasn't for love of the job and the mind challenge troubleshooting, I'd go to work at the minimart and take home more. (Of course then there is the real chance of getting shot at over the $5 in the register, the carton of Cigs and a liter of beer).

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I as an electrician must carry insurance and get permits and inspections, pay for continuing Ed, and still looked at as ..a rip off
CA excludes permits for projects <=$500, so minor service work may cost less for licenses.

The problem is licenses avoid AFCI's without inspection, leaving money on the table for minor service jobs.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Too many years not getting any real money and working at poverty wages.
That's why licenses favor properties that restrict access with locked and gated ladders, managed by hiring vendors with insurance. Unfortunately, plenty of insurance agents sell GL policies to gardeners, and GC's doing electrical.

When dealing with Joe Home owner, most States don't have licensing police. Its all about property insurance adjusters enforcing policy limits, before paying claims for negligent defects.

California has sting projects, but can't stop the flood of unqualified persons. The local press reports casualties on construction sites as "Compete Regulatory Failure," after untouchable GC's disappear, or flee the country.

Few residential permits, much less AFCI's, are found anywhere but new developments, or fire restorations, with AHJ's holding COO.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My company charges about $145/hr for our best customers. So, each man working a full year of 8-hour days is 50 x 5 x 8 x $150 = $300,000 per year in revenue. Not far off the OP's calculation.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I don't get how some on this site claim to be able to charge in excess of $150/hr and turning work away. Around here the handyman and GC charges $20/45/hr and doing electrical work, no insurance, no permit, no inspections, and as long as the lights come on no one blinks. I as an electrician must carry insurance and get permits and inspections, pay for continuing Ed, and still looked at as if charging more than the GC $45 is a rip off, at least until they had some issue that the GC can't figure out, then you're a momentary hero.
Too old too late to look at a different trade even if I was so inclined, If it wasn't for love of the job and the mind challenge troubleshooting, I'd go to work at the minimart and take home more. (Of course then there is the real chance of getting shot at over the $5 in the register, the carton of Cigs and a liter of beer).
Part of it is who you're selling too. Don't sell yourself as an electrician sell the lighting package and the whole job if you can. Sell the repair for a little troubleshooting job and while you're there mention your other services that pay more and offer more value to the customer.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC

Burger king is advertising 18-22 an hour around here.

You’re not getting anyone professional for less than about 120-140. Mechanics are 160. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, all at around $160.

Trucking is around 170-200 an hour.

My OH for a one man show is around $45/hour. I wouldn’t bother going to work here for $45/hour. I wouldn’t be in business.

Rental rates for skid steer and mini ex are about $550/day. That’s what I charge my equipment out at, plus my labor.

Different areas. Like I said, it’s expensive to live here too.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Always remember the elevator repairman-- invoiced $200 to get the elevator going again. Handyman at the hotel tells his boss, "All he did was look at it a while, then tap it on top with a hammer." Boss asked for an -itemized- bill. Invoice came back-- Tapping elevator with hammer $0.50 Knowing where to tap $199.50.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Just remember, if you make $100,000 a year you are considered lower middle class. Think about that for a second...

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
No. You watched “news” that made it up.
Im proud of you for figguring that out, son. Again, so some of you "folks" aint confused, i do not control whats on the "news" in the morning! Also in the news was dehumidifiying the atmosphere to fight the rain... brought to you by scientists and quickly debunked for lack of....

Last edited:
I agree with ya. I think part of it is our area, it's pretty cheap all around here in upstate NY. Another thing, I suspect most of these people who say they charge $150/hr , that is for certain types of work . Service work sure. Commercial work, more likely. I doubt you can do a larger resi job and get that rate or bid it with that labor rate. I also don't get these overhead numbers. $45/hr just for overhead?? My overhead is probably like $2k/yr or $1.33/hr, and that's maintaining 2 state licenses and three state LLCs.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I agree with ya. I think part of it is our area, it's pretty cheap all around here in upstate NY. Another thing, I suspect most of these people who say they charge $150/hr , that is for certain types of work . Service work sure. Commercial work, more likely. I doubt you can do a larger resi job and get that rate or bid it with that labor rate. I also don't get these overhead numbers. $45/hr just for overhead?? My overhead is probably like $2k/yr or $1.33/hr, and that's maintaining 2 state licenses and three state LLCs.
For the reasons you've stated, my company absolutely will not touch resi work. Unless it's the boss' house. ;)