wine cellar lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplstep

I'm looking for some help in choosing some low temperature lamping for a wine cellar. The room is 13' by 7', with 7' ceilings. Recessed fixtures are not an option, as the fewer the holes the better for the climate control. Fluorescent tubes are an option. However, something classier to propose will place me in a better spot to get the work. Money is not an option for the most part.

Thanks

480sparky

Mebbe LED?

Whatever you install, make it so it goes off automatically. Door-jamb switch, timer, whatever it takes to make sure the light goes off.

triplstep

Mebbe LED?

Whatever you install, make it so it goes off automatically. Door-jamb switch, timer, whatever it takes to make sure the light goes off.

LED could be doable. Something that will affect the ambient the least, yet look hot as heck. :cool: I want to spin their heads with a great look that will light up their racks.

No can do with the jamb switch. Got to be able to read the labels with the door closed.

triplstep

how about suggesting installation of crown molding with LED lights inside shining up on the ceiling for indirect lighting?

I like that idea, actually a lot. Will the racks top to bottom (more towards the middle and bottom) have enough illumination for them to read labels with the lighting tucked behind the crown? I gotta make sure this lighting system works :-?

ultramegabob

if price is no option, I would think you could manufacture some kind of reflector on the inside of the crown moulding such as polished stainless steel to increase the ammount of light reflected up, and it would also be helpful if the ceiling is white and not a subdued color.....

Edit.... I guess you could even install that shiny aluminum tape that HVAC guys use on the backside of the crown molding before it is installed to get a reflective surface...

Last edited:

480sparky

You might try meandering into a lighting store day after tomorrow and take a gander at what's available, as well as pick a designers' brain a bit.

triplstep

Bob,

Thanks for the link. I like the idea of the light behind the crown, nice kind of indirect splash of illumination.

I"m going to keep surfing, and like 480 suggested, make a few calls and visit a lighting store or two on Monday.

iwire

Staff member
Mebbe LED?

Occupancy sensors...

I am guessing light hurts wine?

If so maybe you could select a light source that puts out the least harmful wave length of light? Use it as a selling point.

Anyway back on topic, we just installed some LED lights that where very versatile and come from major manufacturer.

http://www.colorkinetics.com/

Here is a more direct link to what we used

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/essentialwhite/ewflexslx/

Status
Not open for further replies.