Wire cut, 115' means 115'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Sitting down to E-mail my supplier and figured I would share. I ordered 3 cuts of #1 at 115' long. As we rolled them out things looked very strange. I was pulling along no problem when the rope just stops. Phone rings and its Al saying he wants to pull a foot back. I didn't even have the head yet??? In the picture below you can see what he had left on his end when he stopped the pull, two coils of different lengths and to the bottom right of the meter socket the short stub.

badcuts.jpg

Turned out our cuts where 99', 115', and 144'.:confused::mad: A week earlier I ordered 50' of 3/0 for make-up of the same service from a different supply house and when Al was done we measured the coil left over at 51'. (Magic Wire:grin::grin::grin:)

Note: All the cuts involved where tagged at the ordered lengths.

Cavie

Sitting down to E-mail my supplier and figured I would share. I ordered 3 cuts of #1 at 115' long. As we rolled them out things looked very strange. I was pulling along no problem when the rope just stops. Phone rings and its Al saying he wants to pull a foot back. I didn't even have the head yet??? In the picture below you can see what he had left on his end when he stopped the pull, two coils of different lengths and to the bottom right of the meter socket the short stub.
badcuts.jpg

Turned out our cuts where 99', 115', and 144'.:confused::mad: A week earlier I ordered 50' of 3/0 for make-up of the same service from a different supply house and when Al was done we measured the coil left over at 51'. (Magic Wire:grin::grin::grin:)

Note: All the cuts involved where tagged at the ordered lengths.

I had the very same almost exact lenghts happen back in sept. with 500 mcm but I did get it out if the pipe and to the correct connections.

nakulak

it sucks when they have idiots working as wire jockeys at the supply. It sucks even worse when you have to make special arrangements for the pull (men/equipment). And it beats all when you call up and they don't believe you.

Kdog76

My local supplier has never shorted me, but has always given an extra 5' or more...Only time I have gotten shorted was my own stupid fault for either not measuring long enough, or not given myself that extra length.

Oakey

they've done this to me also, think they would know to make them the same.
115x3 = 345
99+115+144=358

Sadly they probably called into the microphone,
"345 ft of #1"

Last edited:

mivey

What are you complaining about? You averaged 4.3 feet more than you paid for. Now, if only I could count my golf shots using averaging, I'd be doing O.K.

JacksonburgFarmer

I too have heard that the SIMPULL wire will not count correctly on the reel counters, however, that would not account for a shortage of wire, an overage yes....but shortage NO!!!!

I have had a supply house short me on wire cuts before....MAJOR PAIN IN THE REAR END!!!! Not my fault but I felt like a jackleg infront of the customer....:mad:

RUWired

Its kind of hard for the supply house to screw up the lengths with simpull
icon6.gif
, the numbers are stamped on the jacket. With most of my wire pulls i order the wire parallel on one reel. If one or two come up short it's obvious.

mivey

Its kind of hard for the supply house to screw up the lengths with simpull...
Or with anything, really. How hard can it be for goodness sakes? I can step off hundreds of feet within a few feet. Even so, how can you not notice 99' vs 144'? Count the coils or something. Put more than minimal effort into the task.

Just like when I order a hamburger with no onions, no mustard: it is on the ticket, it is on the counter display, it is on the prep display, but I still get onions & mustard = ???.

PS: I'm not going to ask why this wasn't noticed before the wire was pulled...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have ordered X length of wire and had it come in on a spool in several pieces. We even had one come in several pieces and one piece was a different size.

But not recently.

badcuts.jpg

I would be willing to bet the person cutting the wire was on the phone while cutting the wire. I have seen more people working and on the phone in the last two years. Never would I allow it on my jobs. But I guess times have changed, as I see it on every job I go to, even when consulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.