Wire Nut Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert11

Hello,

For terminating a live 110 V No. 14 wire in a metal box that isn't to be used anymore, can the wire just be clipped and a wire nut screwed over
the insulation ?

Or should the normal length of Cu be exposed as usual, and the nut placed over that ? Good idea for the Cu to be doubled over to provide two thicknesses ?

Thanks,
Bob

ultramegabob

running a wirenut down on insulation isnt very secure, the metal spring can cut the insulation, and it could be pulled off easily, stripping the wire makes it bite into the copper and a more secure cap in my opinion.

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
running a wirenut down on insulation isnt very secure, the metal spring can cut the insulation, and it could be pulled off easily, stripping the wire makes it bite into the copper and a more secure cap in my opinion.

Try using electrical tape. :D :D

mdshunk

The worst is when people leave the "hooks" on solid wire, then just tape over them. It's difficult to get the tape off in that case. Seems like the hook digs into the tape when you try to remove it. I've done that myself many times, and curse myself each time.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
wandering a bit here but -

Use the Tan ideals and throw out the yellows! The Tan is more versatile in application, (handles one to three wires, whereas yellow gets you two). If you cut one apart I believe you'll find the Tan has a longer, tighter, coil.

In all good conciousness though, follow 110.3(B)

One wire - Tan
Two wires -Tan
Three wires - Tan or Red
Four wires - Red
Five wires -Red
Blue wire nut? What'd you do?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rockyd said:
Use the Tan ideals and throw out the yellows! The Tan is more versatile in application, (handles one to three wires, whereas yellow gets you two).
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. While you don't specify wire size, I have no trouble getting a yellow securely on three #12's or four #14's.

I've never been a 1-size-fits-all kinda guy. I hate seeing reds used to attach a single #18 fixture wire to a single #14; I use little oranges.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Rockyd said:
wandering a bit here but -

Use the Tan ideals and throw out the yellows! The Tan is more versatile in application, (handles one to three wires, whereas yellow gets you two). If you cut one apart I believe you'll find the Tan has a longer, tighter, coil.

In all good conciousness though, follow 110.3(B)

One wire - Tan
Two wires -Tan
Three wires - Tan or Red
Four wires - Red
Five wires -Red
Blue wire nut? What'd you do?

I like the Tan's myself. They work well and go with almost any decor.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Alright Larry, I'll give you the oranges, they are effective, and efficient, for lights. Not going to go with the blues though....less no one is looking and I don't have to sign the work! Don't have any yellows in my box, and don't plan on to get any in the future!

Mark is right, tans go with any decor!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.