Wire Nuts Old School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

in-sure.jpg

Do any of you guys use Ideals Push In connectors(also made by wago) instead of wire nuts? Our compay is stocking them on all our jobs now right next to the wire nuts. I think they are quicker and you can see the connctions inside them. The down side is they dont realy come apart as easy as wire nuts. Do you guys use them?

bikeindy

rustyryan34 said:
in-sure.jpg

The down side is they dont realy come apart as easy as wire nuts. Do you guys use them?

Isint that the up side? Do you like your wire connections comming apart?

I don't use them much but I like them.

mdshunk

I've been using the three port version a lot lately on T12 to T8 retrofits. I think it does speed things up. I'm still reluctant to use them in a feed trough application on the ballast primary side.

jeremysterling

I like them like I like riding a motorcycle. The faster I go can I be really secure? I use them in fixtures only and then only half the time. I struggle putting the braided bare non-tinned lum chassis bonding "strap" in the wago so I pigtail the "ground" with a wirenut. I think they are listed for stranded, but I only use wago on solid conductors

ultramegabob

sometimes its hard for me to try new things, but I just dont care for the idea of stabbed connections, I have seen way too many problems with switches and recepts with that style of connection. I will wait and see how they work out for people for a while before I would do a project with them...

peter d

mdshunk said:
I've been using the three port version a lot lately on T12 to T8 retrofits. I think it does speed things up. I'm still reluctant to use them in a feed trough application on the ballast primary side.

After twisting the orange wire nuts all day on retrofits I can really see how the push ins would be nice

Regarding the feed through, I don't think I'd be too concerned about a few amps. More than that I'd stay with a regular wire nut.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Regarding the feed through, I don't think I'd be too concerned about a few amps. More than that I'd stay with a regular wire nut.
Yeah, if you're refitting troffers, you really don't know for sure how many might be feeding through the fixture you're working on. Might be one, might be a whole row. They're real handy for the ballast secondaries, though.

rustyryan34

ultramegabob said:
sometimes its hard for me to try new things, but I just dont care for the idea of stabbed connections, I have seen way too many problems with switches and recepts with that style of connection. I will wait and see how they work out for people for a while before I would do a project with them...

What problems have you seen with the push in connectors?

I have seen problems with these,

Leuchtkl-g.jpg

I have open up lights that werent working and seen the wire had come out of them.

peter d

rustyryan34 said:
What problems have you seen with the push in connectors?

I have seen problems with these,

Leuchtkl-g.jpg

I have open up lights that werent working and seen the wire had come out of them.

How cute...they look like a mini stapler.

480sparky

Color me 'old school' then. I don't care for them. To me, they're just a version of the old back-stab connectors that are on the back of resi devices, and in 2000 they changed those to not accept 12. Hmmmm. Maybe there was a reason for that. Like they aren't good connections for anything over 15 amps. But here everyone is stuffing 10s into them new-fangled Wagos.
Call me old-fashioned. (My cell phone does two things: it makes phone calls when I push the buttons, and it takes phone calls when it goes "Ringy-Dingy!". It has a green screen. No 'net connection. No email. No text messaging. And it does me juuuuuust fine!)
I once did a house full of can lights that had the Wagos pre-installed in the j-boxes. OK, I thought, I'll give 'em a try. When I went back to trim, I had to spend two days pulling cans down in order to find the open connections.
Now, I know what you're thinking..... "installer error". One or two, I'd be OK with. But scores of 'em? C'mon! I had more loose connections trimming those cans out than I have the rest of my entire career.
Gimme a pouch full of tan twisters and my 9-Kliens.

rustyryan34

mdshunk said:
Now you've got my attention. What in the world are those?

Wago makes the especially for the connection of lights, you push the back down and put the wires in. But the problem is they made them so you can push it down and pull the wires right back out. So it never realy make a strong connection and if it bounce around alittle the wires can come out.

peter d

480sparky said:
Color me 'old school' then. I don't care for them.

I think they have a place with ballast retrofits.

I have also used them when I have a box full of ground wires that need to be made up, and the 10 port connectors are just the thing for that. But now I'll hear that they aren't listed for grounding. :roll:

TOOL_5150

peter d said:
I think they have a place with ballast retrofits.

I have also used them when I have a box full of ground wires that need to be made up, and the 10 port connectors are just the thing for that. But now I'll hear that they aren't listed for grounding. :roll:

Unless that is a recent change, the ideal ones say right on the jar that they can be used as ground connections.

~Matt

peter d

TOOL_5150 said:
Unless that is a recent change, the ideal ones say right on the jar that they can be used as ground connections.

~Matt

I was just speculating about whether they are listed for grounding conductors or not...I'm glad to hear that they are.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
480sparky said:
Gimme a pouch full of tan twisters and my 9-Kliens.

Clarification please: Anything wrong without pliers or pre-twisting hand-tight twister nuts?

peter d

ramsy said:
Clarification please: Anything wrong without pliers or pre-twisting hand-tight twister nuts?

Nothing. Pretwisting is at the option of the installer, as long as the manufacturers instructions and listed wire combinations are followed.

LawnGuyLandSparky

480sparky said:
Call me old-fashioned. (My cell phone does two things: it makes phone calls when I push the buttons, and it takes phone calls when it goes "Ringy-Dingy!". It has a green screen. No 'net connection. No email. No text messaging. And it does me juuuuuust fine!)

Is this you?...:grin:
old_cellphone1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.