Wire Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

peter d said:
"Burndy" is a slang term for a split bolt connector, and also the inventor and manufacturer of the split bolt connector and many others.

Awesome, thank you i did not know that.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

ohm

I saw a red wirenut melt on a water heater in a manufactured home. The #10 wires were not twisted and the current path was thru the stainless steel spiral. The wire eventually sprang out of the wirenut and shorted to the case, tripping the breaker.

I charged $100 for the fix and the factory quickly reimbursed to owner.

Similar bad connection a week later by the same manufacturer. Seems like the help needs to be retrained.

I'll bet wirenut twist / no twist has never been discussed here.:wink:

electricalperson

i always twist my wires. thats the way i was taught and thats the way i make my helpers do it. i think it makes a much more professional installation

every splice has to be perfect. no claw marks from the pliars

i strip about 2 inches of wire, depending on the size i twist with my fingers at first and finish with my pliars. then i cut it to size and throw the wire nut on and twist that a couple times with the pliars

peter d

iwire said:
If this becomes a 'twist or not twist' or a 'how a proper twist is made' thread it will be history. :grin:

Trying to insert a twisted connection into a Wago is a real bear, so my vote is for "no twisting."

electricalperson

peter d said:
I only use electrical tape in the place of a bandage. Otherwise I don't have any use for it. ;)

one of my best bosses i ever had taught me that every good electrician always carries a roll of tape. tape is one of the first things i look for before i get out of my truck

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
one of my best bosses i ever had taught me that every good electrician always carries a roll of tape. tape is one of the first things i look for before i get out of my truck

I always assumed tape was for DIYs that could not make a decent splice or termination on a device. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.