Wire Pro Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLR.JW

Hi all, first post but I have been reading this forum for awhile. I've recentley started my own contracting company and have received a alot of imformation from this forum.
My question is has anyone on this forum used the Wire Pro Residential software for layouts or do you prefer "cad" software. They offer a 10 day trial and the price seems right but I would like to hear from this forum first. Thanks to all......

JLR.JW

For the Customer..

For the Customer..

I was thinking it would be helpfull to be able to supply a print-layout to the customer. Alot of the jobs I do are additions and remodels and as far as bidding on the job it would give me an advantage???

Mr.Sparkle

I use graph paper and a scale ruler to draw the "real" layout for most small additions, as compu-techy as I am I think using software for small/med. residential stuff might be overkill. But because I spend too much time on the computer I will at least look into the software you posted. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't get paid to draw the plans. I will work thru with the owner when it comes time to wire but I don't draw.

A plan with no electrical is a guesstimate job and that's all.

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't get paid to draw the plans. I will work thru with the owner when it comes time to wire but I don't draw.

A plan with no electrical is a guesstimate job and that's all.

This is really the main reason most will not do what you have asked about.
You are new in business, and one of the items you will eventually learn is the "bottom line".

Without a good bottom line, you will find it difficult to stay in business. If you are looking for an 'edge' for your business to help you standout, I advise one of the easiest of solutions. Answer your phone in a timely fashion and provide good service...not as easy as one may think, but when it becomes a habit not so hard. That will give you a leg up on the average EC. In my area, that is one of the most common complaints from the EC's customers.

Good luck in your new venture!!!

brian john

don't get paid to draw the plans. I will work thru with the owner when it comes time to wire but I don't draw.

When plans are required the customer should pay for these, we exclude plans in all quotes, when the issue comes up and it does it is what we in the business call an EXTRA, whether we do the drawings or sub it out.

quogueelectric

480sparky said:
My first reaction would be, why do you need software to layout a resi job?
Because when you hand them a 10 page bid on a resi basement apt and it says 13,000$ It breaks down every rec switch hi hat smoke tstat plasma tv phone and makes it look like a lot more work on paper. I have had customers say WOW!! I am getting all this stuff?? I smile and say Yes you are. keep grinning..............

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
quogueelectric said:
Because when you hand them a 10 page bid on a resi basement apt and it says 13,000$ It breaks down every rec switch hi hat smoke tstat plasma tv phone and makes it look like a lot more work on paper. I have had customers say WOW!! I am getting all this stuff?? I smile and say Yes you are. keep grinning..............

Hmm. I think I like mark wahlberg's quote from "the departed" more:

homeowners "are like mushrooms. feed 'em (doo doo) and keep 'em in the dark."

quogueelectric

brantmacga said:
Hmm. I think I like mark wahlberg's quote from "the departed" more:

homeowners "are like mushrooms. feed 'em (doo doo) and keep 'em in the dark."
I showed the quote to my wife who said wow thats a lot of work!! I said yes it is!!

ceb58

quogueelectric said:

And then what keeps them from taking your drawings and lay out to Joe Blow and ask what will you do this job for? While handing over your hard work to him to cut your throat in price.

frizbeedog

JLR.JW said:
Hi all, first post but I have been reading this forum for awhile. I've recentley started my own contracting company and have received a alot of imformation from this forum.
My question is has anyone on this forum used the Wire Pro Residential software for layouts or do you prefer "cad" software. They offer a 10 day trial and the price seems right but I would like to hear from this forum first. Thanks to all......

If you wanna draw layouts, diagrams, whatever, try this. I played with it and it's pretty cool. It's a free trial.

Smart Draw

Are you gonna charge for your time drawing plans, electrical diagrams?

I have wasted my time drawing out simple projects, making a nice presentation, only to have the customer go for the lower price from another contractor. Did they give a rip about my time and presentation? Not really. Did they use it to show the other contrator? Probably yes. Did I do a lot of work for nothing? Yup.

Just a thought.

quogueelectric

ceb58 said:
And then what keeps them from taking your drawings and lay out to Joe Blow and ask what will you do this job for? While handing over your hard work to him to cut your throat in price.
It looks very professional as opposed to joe blow scratching out a number on a napkin. It is theatrics but I was very surprised at how closely homeowners are impressed with that paper. It makes them feel they are getting a lot of stuff.

ceb58

quogueelectric said:
It looks very professional as opposed to joe blow scratching out a number on a napkin. It is theatrics but I was very surprised at how closely homeowners are impressed with that paper. It makes them feel they are getting a lot of stuff.

If this system works for you then great. I would not spend a lot of time drawing layouts and coming up with detailed takeoffs to give the customer for an estimate. Only to have the customer use my hard, free work against me. Now if the customer hires you for the job it's a good idea to have detailed drawings and takeoffs to agree on scope of work to be done at contract signing time that way they know what you are doing for there money and they are not trying to slip things in on you for free.
I am not saying scratch something out on a napkin ether, give them a general overview of the job and a price with the clause that complete details and/or drawings will be provided upon acceptance of contract.

JLR.JW

Thanks for all the replies. If I do decide to go with the Wire Pro Residential software, I would not hand over a print/layout to a "potential" customer for FREE. I would definatley charge for a print/layout, since I invested in the software and put my time into designing their layout. I like the idea of handing the layout over after I have been given the job and the contract is signed but I'm not sure that will happen all the time. If after the "potential" customer has paid me for the layout and I don't get the job then I guess they can do what they want with it. Thats the name of the game!!!

Minuteman

JLR.JW said:
Thanks for all the replies. If I do decide to go with the Wire Pro Residential software, I would not hand over a print/layout to a "potential" customer for FREE. I would definatley charge for a print/layout, since I invested in the software and put my time into designing their layout. I like the idea of handing the layout over after I have been given the job and the contract is signed but I'm not sure that will happen all the time. If after the "potential" customer has paid me for the layout and I don't get the job then I guess they can do what they want with it. Thats the name of the game!!!
I think the software would be cool to have, but would not know exactly how I would incorporate it into the job. I could see where it would be beneficial to the customer to have an "as built" electrical print.

Status
Not open for further replies.