Wire pulls and turn in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
elbow.jpg
Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?

If the answers are no. Do you have some alternatives?

growler

Sure, why not. Those fittings that you are showing are not really 90s or elbows they are commonly referred to as pulling Ls. Because of that removable cover this is considered a "pull point". As a matter of fact you do not want to try and pull through it. You feed the cable out and then push it through to the next "L".

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Look in the LB fitting that you want to use. They will have a max size and # of that size marked. The 1 1/2" I am looking at says MAX SIZE CONDUCTOR 3#1/0 AWG.

IMO:
I would not use the back to back fittings you pictured. Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

For the # of wires you have, I would be inclined to j-boxes for any length of pull unless the distance between them are relatively short. Could you do it, sure. Worth the effort, probably not.

Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
Reply and another question

Reply and another question

Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!

Thank you everyone for the responses. Also, I noticed that the 1" elbows do not have set screws (oversight when purchased). I cannot find anything on line. Are those still acceptable for EGC bonding?

growler

I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
View attachment 22980
Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?

. Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.

kwired

Electron manager

Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
In a real LB, that combination goes in 3/4 just fine, but the short fitting like pictured wouldn't take #6 very easily without risk of damaging it trying to get it in there. Even 3/4 and 1/2 inch with 12 and 14's installed doesn't work so well with those short bodies if near max conduit fill.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

You had no problems because a 1" elbow allows #6. But don't try that in a 3/4" elbow. Did that once by accident and was glad the inspector didn't notice. Wires got pretty scuffed in the process but it tested okay and didn't fault. Looked at the elbow markings afterward and realized why I had such a tough time.

Moral of the story is that when using these things you've got to watch out because conduit fill tables will tell you that you can run a 3-wire circuit plus ground with a wire size larger than the pulling elbow allows for that size raceway. Doesn't happen with normal LB fittings so far as I've noticed.

kwired

Electron manager
You had no problems because a 1" elbow allows #6. But don't try that in a 3/4" elbow. Did that once by accident and was glad the inspector didn't notice. Wires got pretty scuffed in the process but it tested okay and didn't fault. Looked at the elbow markings afterward and realized why I had such a tough time.

Moral of the story is that when using these things you've got to watch out because conduit fill tables will tell you that you can run a 3-wire circuit plus ground with a wire size larger than the pulling elbow allows for that size raceway. Doesn't happen with normal LB fittings so far as I've noticed.

Are short bodies like pictured even available larger than 3/4? I never seen one.

Also never seen any wire size information on a short body fitting.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor

Well - I was asking the question after the install. And yes, the wires got a little scuffed. That is three #6 and a #8 in 3/4 (not 1"). Conduit fill for the straight run is OK. The Elbows are not labeled and it is tight. Will it pass? Who knows.

Also - a related question: Some elbows have no threads, only set screws. Others have threads and set screws. Can one use the threaded with set screws directly with the EMT, or does one have to use (two) connectors (with set screws, one for each end)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Pulling elbows are available for 2" from Gordon Electric

APLTON_MP_FFL-100.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also - a related question: Some elbows have no threads, only set screws. Others have threads and set screws. Can one use the threaded with set screws directly with the EMT, or does one have to use (two) connectors (with set screws, one for each end)?
The ones with set-screws can be used without connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.