wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jioman

anyone heard of sizes of wires listed with a temperature rating? This light fixture says to use wire rated at 90 degrees and says homes pre-1985 probably have 60 degree rated wire?????

iwire

Staff member
Re: wire size

The temperature rating is of the insulation on the conductor and is a very important aspect to consider.

Consider a 10 AWG copper conductor.

30 amps @ 60 C

35 amps @ 75 C

40 amps @ 90 C

For this fixture the concern is the heat from the lamp damaging the insulation on the conductor.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

jioman-wire temperature ratings are one of the first thing an electrician learns. If you are installing a luminaire, er fixture, that requires 90 c wire, and you only have NM, not NM-B, you will eventually cause the NM wire insulation to overheat and fail. You should either install a different fixture, or get a qualified electrician to help. I have had many of my students tell me horror stories about melted and damaged NM in homes with incandescent fixtures due to heat.

pierre

Lets take this one step further :)
In the Northeast, we have many old buildings with the clothbraid wiring. Some old ceiling mount fixtures installed for years have literally dried the insulation so much, that when installing a new fixture, the only thing left when pulling the existing fixture down is the copper.

These newer fixtures all require 90 degree C wiring :eek: , what do most of you guys do with this situation?

Pierre

ron

Dave, was your comment needed? :eek:
Why can't he ask a question to better understand.
It's hard enough to put the ego aside to ask a question without that sort of stuff.

[ March 23, 2004, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: ron ]

charlie

Back in the dark ages when I was still working in the trade, I used the insulation stripped from a new piece of the appropriate wire (NM-B, THHN, etc.) I slid this onto the bare wire (stripped as far back into the box as I could get it) and taped it into place in the back of the box. After doing all the conductors in the cable, I would then tape them all together in the same place. At the time, I used Slipknot Gray tape and never had any problems with that method. :D

jioman

Thanks Charlie....I think I got enough wisdom now to make an educated decision...whew..you guys are brutal sometimes.I guess if I knew all this stuff, I wouldn't need the forum...Thanks though. I do appreciate ALL comments.

websparky

Dave, was your comment needed?
Why can't he ask a question to better understand.
It's hard enough to put the ego aside to ask a question without that sort of stuff.
Darn, can't I have one every now and then? :D

You are correct Ron. We should be more accepting of the seemingly obvious new-be questions. Heck, if it weren't for all of the new sign-ups, we old-timers wouldn't have much to argue about!

For all of the newer folks, the bark is much worse than the bite. After all, we were all new-be's at one time! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.