"wire suspended" recessed lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchleg45

Plans specify that recessed fixtures in open commercial ceiling to be "wire suspended @ 12'-0" AFF from roof structure at open ceiling locations"
??...strut?...any other methods you guys have utilized?
For randomly spaced fixtures I can't imagine a wire at each leg of fixture.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
12 AWG steel ceiling tie wire, I would come down with one and connect it opposite corners with a second piece of tie wire.

switchleg45

Using aerial? cable is definately a time saver compared to using jack chain or equivalent.

I checked out the Erico speed link...?..they are to be mounted at 12' AFF...right out in mid air! I think some type of T-grid or strut would have to be supported first...to keep them from swinging.

ItsHot

cable /strut

cable /strut

I was in a new place friday night that had high open ceilings blacked out. They had hanging strut from cable , with various fixture types mounted on the strut. Looked good!

iwire

Staff member
I checked out the Erico speed link...?..they are to be mounted at 12' AFF...right out in mid air! I think some type of T-grid or strut would have to be supported first...to keep them from swinging.

I would not volunteer to provide anything more then the prints show. It sounds like an RFI to the designer is in order.

iwire

Staff member
Many of the jobs I have worked I was required to send an RFI (Request For Information) to ask the engineer or designer questions.

If you not familiar with that process you're lucky.:) Pick up the phone call the person who drew the plans and ask 'Hey, what exactly did you have in mind?'

iwire

Staff member
Here is an example of an RFI I found on the web.

RFI%20at%2080.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.