Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcouillard

Occupation
Electrician
Are you allowed to staple wires in the basement in between joist. I feel that if I drill it would damage the integrity of the joist rather than staples.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
334.15(C)
NM cables not smaller than 6/2 or 8/3 can be stapled directly to the bottom of the joists. I believe this would apply to SE cable as well.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Are you allowed to staple wires in the basement in between joist. I feel that if I drill it would damage the integrity of the joist rather than staples.
Yes you can staple in between joists.
You need to learn where you can drill holes in joists as there is a difference between I-joists and dimensional joists.

Ron

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Unless the joist is not adequately sized for the span there is no harm in drilling in the center third of the width.
I know where to drill as I've done it thousands of times, but why is it stated "center of third"? I've seen it before but never understood why it's stated that way.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know where to drill as I've done it thousands of times, but why is it stated "center of third"? I've seen it before but never understood why it's stated that way.
Within the center third in both dimensions.

Vertically because the top is under compression and the bottom under tension.

Horizontally because the shear forces are greatest at the edges of the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.