Wireless Access Points on Ceiling Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I am installing some Cisco Wireless Access Points and they come with brackets that attach to the suspended ceiling's grid. A coworker expressed they needed to be tethered to the structure above the ceiling, in addition to mounting to the grid. Is this true? I have been unable to find the area of NEC 2005 (our State uses that guide) that covers this topic. Others have indicated that those supports are adequate and no additional support mechanisms are needed or required by law.

Thanks!

there is probable a building/local/county/city/state/fire code that states it must be independently tethered to structure in addition to the grid support

mxslick

Yep, local codes here require a tether. A local University I work at has WAP's in most rooms and they are all tethered above the grid.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We have dozens if not hundreds of APs, many of which are "attached" to the ceiling grid, and in a 7.1 none of them fell off.

Did they stay attached to the grid all the way to the ground or did the grid stay up too?:)

Hope you and yours are well after your event over there.

I never had time and it never really crossed my mind to take pictures after the earthquake here, as we were really, really busy. Wish I had the ones of the corner of the speaker inbedded into the wood floor after it fell out of a suspended ceiling and it only had a 5 oz magnet on it, but the story is usually enough to make my point.

dbuckley

Did they stay attached to the grid all the way to the ground or did the grid stay up too?:)

Sometimes, the ceiling just wont stay up :) But no AP here...

IMG_5437.jpg

Lots of pictures of where I work here.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As long as they are not supported only by the tile then the approved bracket may be ok

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sometimes, the ceiling just wont stay up :) But no AP here...

IMG_5437.jpg

Lots of pictures of where I work here.

That is true.:) Looks like you had a lot of the same damage as we did. It took forever to get our address files back together again as the room looked a lot like the pics of what I assume is a library? It will be interesting to see if the "new" suspended ceiling standards makes a difference.

DannyO

Good to know -- thanks. They seem really secure in place, but I just want some sort of official, written, nod-of-approval. ...you know how it goes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.