Wireless Access Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnanstad

Good Morning,
I am responsible for installing Wireless Access points in a number of retail locations. The access points are powered over the ethernet cable that is run above a drop ceiling. Are there any restrictions to mounting the access point on the cable that supports the suspended ceiling grid?

caj1962

Re: Wireless Access Points

IMO the following would require you to support the equipent from building structre or from grid wires installed for the purpose of supporting your equipment and not the ones that hold the ceiling up.
800.6 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Communications circuits and equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner. Cables installed exposed on the outer surface of ceiling and sidewalls shall be supported by the structural components of the building structure in such a manner that the cable is not be damaged by normal building use. Such cables shall be attached to structural components by straps, staples, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable. The installation shall also conform with 300.4(D).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jeff,
This cable is not "exposed on the outer surface of the ceiling" and therefore the code section cited does not apply.
Don

dnanstad

Jeff and Don,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where in the NEC I can confirm this info?

caj1962

Don while I agree that the code section I cited does not totally fit this application the referance to 300.4 does say exposed or concealed locations. I am way out of my league even trying to answer a comm question but I am the victim of a lot of "lift and fling" method by installers of these systems.
;)

jtester

Don
I'm not sure I agree that cables can be hung from ceiling wires. In the 2002 Handbook Exhibit 725.2 shows cables being suspended from the structure.
Our inspectors have required the cables above a layin ceiling to be suspended from the structure, and I have specified it that way because of the Exhibit and the Handbook commentary following 725.6.
What are other's experience?
Jim T

dnanstad

My concern is not so much the cables, but the access point itself. Can it be hung or attached to the support (wire cable) that holds the ceiling framework (grid) in place?

caj1962

Again IMO the answer would be no. The reason is the same why we have to add more supports if we want to us ethat as a support method.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If this is an Article 800 installation, then the rules in Chapters 1-4 do not apply unless specifically referenced in 800.
90.3 ... Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.
I see no reference to 300.11 in Article 800.
Don

jtester

Don
I believe this would be an Article 725 installation, at least the cabling would.
I don't think the acces point could be suspended from the ceiling grid wires either. I'll have to think about a code section forbidding access points being suspended from ceiling grid wires. You can be sure if it's not forbidden, the ceiling grid wires will have to be listed for that use, and that may be a strech.
Jim T

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
You can be sure if it's not forbidden, the ceiling grid wires will have to be listed for that use, and that may be a strech.
Ceiling grid wires are not listed for any purpose. They are just pieces of steel wire. As far as 800 v 725 for this installation that is a subject of debate. I have seen good arguments for the application of either one. Even if the cables in question are covered by 725, I find nothing that requires compliance with 300.11.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.