Wirenut Guild/Cartel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased 400 tans & 300 reds, for something like $35 to $40 each.
Anyone have any idea on what the markup is on these damn things?
Can't cost that much to make them, guess there isn't a lot of
competition...

electricmanscott

sparky_pdx said:
competition...

Sheesh, you sound like our customers.

480sparky

sparky_pdx said:
competition...

You paid 35 to 40 clams for a wire nut?????:D

peter d

Who cares what they cost! Your CUSTOMERS are supposed to be paying for them. Furthermore, if they are Ideal (the only brand I will use) then they are still American made, and you're supporting one of the few major remaining American manufacturers of electrical products.

Last edited:

peter d

SmithBuilt said:
do tell?????

I'm sure they are knock-offs. I think Sunstar Lighting sells them for that cheap. I got a free bag of their tans years ago. I used a few of them and threw the rest of the bag out.

480sparky

peter d said:
Who cares what they cost! .....

Those of us who run businesses and must compete with other ECs in order to get signed contracts that will end with checks in the bank on a regular basis. How long do you think we'll stay in business if we don't keep an eye on our expenses?

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
Those of us who run businesses and must compete with other ECs in order to get signed contracts that will end with checks in the bank on a regular basis. How long do you think we'll stay in business if we don't keep an eye on our expenses?

It's not like you are known for tract housing. :smile:

In those beautiful log homes you do what kind of devices do you use?

Do you get the receptacles out of the $0.39 bin at Home Depot or do you provide something a bit better? :cool:

All I am saying is it is not always the costs of items that will hurt your bussiness....but you know that. :cool:

peter d

480sparky said:

You missed my point, although I admit I wasn't clear about it. A good business man knows what his costs are and passes them along, whether it's a 1000 home tract or a Lowes or a high rise.

My point was that EC's shouldn't be complaining about what things cost because they can either pass the cost along, or negotiate a lower price with the supplier, and most EC's do both on a regular basis.

tonyou812

Ive become a big fan the Twister Pros with the nice padding on the wire nut. They seem to hold a wider range of wire sizes. My old boss used to use the cheap nuts from sunstar and i personally will never use them. They are cheap crap.
I understand trying to control your cost but I will never understand why some guys will skimp on things like gfcis and wire nuts? If you want to save a couple of bucks buy cheeper high hat trims or something in those lines. Something that dosent have to do with electrical connections or safety issues.

HighWirey

peter d said:
Who cares what they cost! Your CUSTOMERS are supposed to be paying for them. Furthermore, if they are Ideal (the only brand I will use) then they are still American made, and you're supporting one of the few major remaining American manufacturers of electrical products.

Exactly.

We all bitch about how much those HVAC contractors make vs us 'po ECs.

Well folks, it is because THOSE guys pass every single cost on to their good customers . . .

When will we wake up and smell the coffee?

Best Wishes Everyone

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Peter D said:
I'm sure they are knock-offs. I think Sunstar Lighting sells them for that cheap. I got a free bag of their tans years ago. I used a few of them and threw the rest of the bag out.
Why Peter ?:-? I use the ones with the wings exclusively and they work great. When you twist them onto wires they really bite and stay on. I buy them on promotion, usually 3 bags (500/bag) for $12/bag and you get 1 bag free.

So, let's see, I end up paying $36.00 for 2000 wire nuts and someone who wants the prestige of paying Ideal's vig pays the same $$ for 500. Did I misfigure ? Ideal pumps their prices up on almost everytinng they sell. Next time you're in the supply house check out their displays. I used to be able to buy green ground screws, 100 in a plain brown box. Now Ideal puts 50 in a nice double sealed display package and charges you more than if you bought the 100 in a plain brown box.

ultramegabob

Knock offs??? I thought this thread was about wirenuts, not Gucci handbags. I mail order wirenuts because I dont care to get bent over at the local supply house. I have never had any problems due to failure of the wirenuts that I use. I use "Knock off" colored tape also, I just dont see the need to spend $4.00 on a roll of electrical tape that is a differnt color than black, when I can get it for $0.59, nickles, dimes, and dollars add up to lost profit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A lot of people mistakenly associate higher prices with higher quality. Its just not so.

You also cannot forget the difference between good enough and near perfect.

If it was me, they'd all be the crimp on style. Even cheaper and hold a lot better.

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
If it was me, they'd all be the crimp on style. Even cheaper and hold a lot better.

I bet your assuming a lot there, I don't find crimps used on solid small conductors to be very effective at all.

electricmanscott

ultramegabob said:
I mail order wirenuts because I dont care to get bent over at the local supply house.

From the diy forum...."I do my own electrical work because I don't care to get bent over by the local electrician..."

It's all a matter of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.