Wires Ampacity.

VENgineer

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1716579743017.png

I reviewed an installation with the following conductors, and I am requesting to change the cables or the OCPD. (I am only pointing out the violations.) Is this approach correct, or am I missing any demand factors that would allow for a reduction in cable size?

I understand that only tap conductors can have a smaller ampacity than the OCPD because they are protected by the overload device of the load's breaker.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2024-05-24 154938.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2024-05-24 154938.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 1

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Breakers do not protect the conductors on their 'line side'.
You need to know the size of the upstream breaker in order to judge their adequacy.

This appears to be service entrance equipment. Service entrance conductors sizing might come from the POCO.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
View attachment 2571795

I reviewed an installation with the following conductors, and I am requesting to change the cables or the OCPD. (I am only pointing out the violations.) Is this approach correct, or am I missing any demand factors that would allow for a reduction in cable size?

I understand that only tap conductors can have a smaller ampacity than the OCPD because they are protected by the overload device of the load's breaker.
4/0 aluminum is compliant on a 200 amp overcurrent protective device because this appears to be a dwelling unit. Each feeder that carries the entire load of the dwelling is allowed to use this table below

Also 4/0 is good for 180 amps and because of 240.4(B) we are allowed to use a 200 amp overcurrent protective device as long as the load doesn't exceed 180 amps

1716581166783.png

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
4/0 Al has a 75C ampacity of 180A, and 1/0 Al has a 75C ampacity of 120A. Where the calculated load does not exceed these values, 240.4(B) permits protecting them at 200A and 125A, respectively.

So the only NEC violation in the sizes highlighted in red is the 1/0 Al protected at 150A. If those conductors are subject to the NEC, then the conductor should be upsized to at least 2/0 Al or the OCPD downsized to 125A.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For the 125 amp circuits with 1/0 aluminum, you need to know the calculated load. If the load is 120 amps or less, the wire size is code compliant because of the rule in 240.4(B).