Wires in wooden light pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No, I agree. Absent a clear definition by the NEC I can't see a problem either. If an AHJ makes an issue of it ask him to show you where it say's you can't.

-Hal

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My problem is not with the chase inside of the pole.

I'm sure the pvc stub up more or less stubs into the chase so that's no biggy.

I also don't have an issue with individual conductors from the stubup to the J-box or from the J-box to the top of the pole.

Mostly all common stuff.

My problem is with the external J-box if it doesn't have a big enough cutout in the back side of it to be able to access the wiring in the chase.

An external J-box is not a hand hole.

I can easily picture a pole like this with an external j-box with a chase nipple out of the back of it into the chase inside the pole.

Is that the case? if so, that type of setup lacks a lot to be desired to say the least.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I suppose if the pole were big enough you could make a big enough hole and use a big enough box to cover it to take care of that problem.

-Hal

My having to do any of that at all is why I mentioned that type of setup lacks a lot to be desired.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It all depends on how much of an opening is left in the back of the externally mounted J-box and it's relationship to the internal 1" chase is what's going to determine the approach.

If there's a 1" square chase in the center of a 10" wooden pole with an external J-box, to me the J-box is useless.

I'd rather pull all the circuits to the top of the pole and make the magic happen at the top.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.