Wires perpendicular to joists in basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
A simple solution if you dont want to drill through the joists put on a nailer that you then can staple your NM to. Or can install a system like Arlington cableway system.
1614425783411.png

kwired

Electron manager
What if you had a finished basement with open joists above but no drop ceiling?
What if not even a basement but they want open joists?

Had that happen in a "bunk house" for renting to hunters one time.

My defense they never told me ahead of time their intentions. I drilled those joists and pulled cable through them. Then caught heck for it - need to route those cables somewhere else. Plus they were still upset about the remaining holes. I told them to make some wood plugs and they would look like knots in the wood. They still had the gull to backcharge me for doing that, when they could have avoided it all by letting me know this framing would be exposed when done. Was framing members cut from on site cottonwood trees and was rough cut looking, but that is natural coming from the sawmill without any planing, how was I to know they wanted to expose it if they don't tell me?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
You can always add a running board which makes it legal. And the wire do not need to be on the running board you can run the wire under the joists and nail/screw the running board up next to the wires after your done

kwired

Electron manager
You can always add a running board which makes it legal. And the wire do not need to be on the running board you can run the wire under the joists and nail/screw the running board up next to the wires after your done
Today's lumber prices you have to think a little harder about whether it is less cost to drill or add the running board. Copper is up some as well.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That works in practice most usually, but the NEC wording is that they have to be on the board

Attachments

• 20210227_113114.jpg
    20210227_113114.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 10

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My defense they never told me ahead of time their intentions. I drilled those joists and pulled cable through them. Then caught heck for it - need to route those cables somewhere else. Plus they were still upset about the remaining holes. I told them to make some wood plugs and they would look like knots in the wood. They still had the gull to backcharge me for doing that, when they could have avoided it all by letting me know this framing would be exposed when done. Was framing members cut from on site cottonwood trees and was rough cut looking, but that is natural coming from the sawmill without any planing, how was I to know they wanted to expose it if they don't tell me?
You should have back-charged them even more for having to remove and replace the work you had already done.

kwired

Electron manager
You should have back-charged them even more for having to remove and replace the work you had already done.
I probably did charge them just didn't itemize it in a way it stood out. this was several years ago don't remember every detail. Have done other work for same customer since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.