Wiring a 5000+ square-foot house

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
There is some loophole that has been discussed before, where you make them taps using the outside tap rule, and 25.30 doesnt prohibit multiple TAPS supplying a building, or something like that. Then you would need a single 400 service disconnect however instead of the two 200's. But then you might as well make them service conductors and skip all the extra equipment.

Are they not "feeder" taps if doing what you said, still making it two feeders? Tap rules are about overcurrent protection allowances and not so much about differentiation between service, feeder, branch circuit conductors.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
So I built a 600 amp service with a service rated ATS on an existing 6000 square foot house . Remodeled a couple of rooms and added some cans, security gates and a pool. When it's done it will be over 100k,

gar

Occupation
EE
191002-2054 EDT

jeff48356:

I am not in the business. But around here if you are close to town, then natural gas is about 1/5 the cost of electricity per BTU or kWH. Thus, most cost concerned customers that are knowledgable will use natural gas. That means gas stove, oven, furnace, hot water heater, and dryer. Not much real big electrical load other than those. With lots of LED lighting the lightling load is greatly reduced.

With a number of computers on and many lights I am generally below about 3 kW as a maximum, daily average is generally in the mid 35 kWH per day.

What roads are these houses near? Are these really 5000 sq-ft houses, or does that include the basement. I know some very well to do people in town with houses more in the 3000 to 4000 sq-ft range.

I think when you get to this size you need to sell function, and not so much power. There are many doctors in our area, and they are generally in somewhat under $1,000,000 homes, and both husband and wife are working. There are about 5000 doctors are U Hospital.

A few years back there was an individual just east of town that had about a 700 A service. I don't really know the need. Gas may not have been available. He was also probably on a pump. My son made bronze custom box covers for his home. Very expensive. Much of Pittsfield Township, south of Ann Arbor, is on Detroit water. Ann Arbor is on its own water. But supplying a water pump does not take a lot of energy. Areas below the Detroit water supply, and north of Saline are on well water.

Analyze what are the real needs of the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.