wiring a barn house

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I appreciate your suggestions. So many problems with this house. Labor cost wise, I really want to not use conduit. The owner has no electrical skill but has free time so I will get him to do non electrical work. The conduit around the posts was the owners idea, but I agree would look terrible. Drilling through 200 year old 8x8 posts, I’ll have to consult the inspector. The owner told me he already had to ‘sign off’ on the framing.
I’m thinking romex next to the pink styrofoam, then having owner cover with 1/2” foam board. If I can drill posts, that would be good. Use a short 3/4” pvc to come out into the back of a pvc box that recesses in the mortar joint. Let owner cut it in. Great stuff anywhere needed.
Customer is family member of a friend, so I probably can’t pass on this job.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
For esthetics I would personally want to do it in K&T, but I'm sure someone official would have a problem with it

I should have saved my K/T stuff. I had a large box at one time from a few rewires I did. Never thought there would be a market for it. :ROFLMAO:

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Use a twist drill for the old posts. The posts are already "notched" so to speak and not sure how to what code would apply to wall like that but sure I could find a way to get some holes thru, some doesnt look like have to penetrate the beam proper, lay a little foam over it and can see some places might drill hole and bell the end and even bend pvc in where it might get mudded in?

Last edited:

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I really dont see this as that big a problem, like you said at first lay the cable, tape or sleeve and would get the idea of emt out of my mind and use cable and get this DONE as you already described it. Doesnt really look that complicated as many of my days go.
Skip all that connect mc bond emt and some other schemes and use cable and plastic boxes, hide it all, no one will care after the OTHER THAN IT WORKS and feature it proper with switch locations, run 3 conductor to the fixture boxes, 1 more wire in the cable gives a lot of cheap future proof. Might use a box other than blue, gray or brown would hardly be noticed.
There are wayyyyyyy too many good ideas in this thread.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The owner has no electrical skill but has free time so I will get him to do non electrical work. The conduit around the posts was the owners idea, but I agree would look terrible... Use a short 3/4” pvc to come out into the back of a pvc box that recesses in the mortar joint. Let owner cut it in... Customer is family member of a friend, so I probably can’t pass on this job.
This just goes from bad to worse.

-Hal

Buck Parrish

I appreciate your suggestions. So many problems with this house. Labor cost wise, I really want to not use conduit. The owner has no electrical skill but has free time so I will get him to do non electrical work. The conduit around the posts was the owners idea, but I agree would look terrible. Drilling through 200 year old 8x8 posts, I’ll have to consult the inspector. The owner told me he already had to ‘sign off’ on the framing.
I’m thinking romex next to the pink styrofoam, then having owner cover with 1/2” foam board. If I can drill posts, that would be good. Use a short 3/4” pvc to come out into the back of a pvc box that recesses in the mortar joint. Let owner cut it in. Great stuff anywhere needed.
Customer is family member of a friend, so I probably can’t pass on this job.
Anything that is expsoed be it conduit or mc cable. Paint it flat black before you put it up.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
One approach that I saw in a mill building conversion to residential use was to lean hard into the industrial look.

All the wiring was surface mounted, most of it in solid strut channel with the strut raceway components.

Probably expensive materials, but it looked great.

Jon

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Thank you, I used UF and was able to drill behind the 8 x8 posts into the 2" styrofoam he had outside the posts. Going with 1/2" EMT everywhere else. (painted brown before installed) How do you mount ceiling light fixtures, fans, to surface mounted metal boxes ? Need a flat surface for the fixture canopy. I'm thinking Bell outdoor ceiling fan box, that comes with a round plate for mounting surface, but they are $25 each at least. 1689445236193.jpeg

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Thank you, I used UF and was able to drill behind the 8 x8 posts into the 2" styrofoam he had outside the posts. Going with 1/2" EMT everywhere else. (painted brown before installed) How do you mount ceiling light fixtures, fans, to surface mounted metal boxes ? Need a flat surface for the fixture canopy. I'm thinking Bell outdoor ceiling fan box, that comes with a round plate for mounting surface, but they are $25 each at least. View attachment 2566390
The bell boxes work good. You can make siding blocks with routered out backs for the conduit so the whole thing sits flat and nice

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Question : I realized my method here has EMT terminating into a plastic box. EMT not grounded. Is that a problem ? Inspector may fail this ?
Thank you !
Unless you meet the requirements in the exceptions, you can't use EMT with plastic boxes.

314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes. Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted
only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-andtube
wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic
sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.
Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between
all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal
raceways or metal-armored cables.
Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for
attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided
between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose,
nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or
metal-armored cables.