wiring a modular home

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc

Has any one had to wire a modular home. It seems pretty straight forward and I was wondering what to charge. I am in NJ and and without looking at the plans in depth I am guestimating about $5,000. Below are my responsibilties.

1. Provide and install service entrance cable to each panel box and connect all inter-modular wires from modular to modular, or to main panel.
2. TV and telephone jack cables will be separately run by manufacturer to accessible areas for connection.
3. Must complete all circuits and inter-modular connections in compliance with local codes, including main service entrance installation. All circuits and electrical connections must be tested as required by local codes.
4. Install exterior door lights and interior shipped-loose items.
5. Run electric for air conditioner with main shut-off outside/per code.
6. Run line for emergency gas shut off/per code.
7. Run line for ceiling lights in crawlspace or basement/per code.
8. Test all interior and exterior lights, fans, switches, and outlets.

mdshunk

Yeah, I wire modular homes. They are straightforward enough. Here's a couple of thoughts on the matter that you might not know:
  • The panel is prewired, and is normally near the center of the home. This will normally require that you put an outdoor disco on and subfeed that panel. You might have not anticipated this additional expense.
  • The intermodule connections are by preinstalled Molex style connectors, normally. It is a simple matter of plugging them together. I do not like this type of connector, as I have replaced many failed one's over the years. I make the splices in a 4 square instead.
  • The cable is often RG59. This may or may not be an issue for you if you still have RG59 tools. I've been using RG6 for my own work for years now.
  • The basement or crawl lighting will need spelled out a little better. I've had some pretty dramatic requests from the perspective homeowner for the basement lighting and receptacles. If there is a basement, you will likely need a smoke to interconnect with the rest of the one's in the home. Some of these modulars come with pretty obscure brand interconnected smokes, which you may or may not have a hard time sourcing locally so that your basement detector will "talk" to the rest.
  • That scope of work requires testing of everything. You might want to indictate that you test only, and that any repair is more money. I've spent whole afternoons troubleshooting tripping AFCI's in brand new modulars.
  • Items such as well pumps, sewage ejector pumps, water softeners, etc. will not be factory wired. Be aware of that, and plan/charge accordingly if these items are needed.
Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

I have done a few modulars, and agree with Marc on what he said. I have NEVER done one that I didn't need to troubleshoot (at least 20). Also, I found I sometimes needed to add smokes. They put them in some strange spots, and sometime relocate after the ductman puts his regesters and returns in.

JohnE

I did a modular duplex for the first time in over 15 years recently. With all the BS inolved, it ended up costing close to what I could have wired it for if it were stick built.

Davis9

j_erickson said:
I did a modular duplex for the first time in over 15 years recently. With all the BS inolved, it ended up costing close to what I could have wired it for if it were stick built.

I agree here. I did 4 modulars on the front end of a development for about what the OP stated. Then some fly-by-nighter was doing the Stick built homes for @250 more. The GC used the other guy, then another and another!

Tom

Found many probs w/modulars the biggest one is the Labeling. Make sure the Electrical prints are available otherwise you'll never know what cable "BR22" really goes to.

speedystevie

We always replace the plug connectors and splice them in 4" boxes.

We also always rewire the panel. The modular company usualy gives you way to much wire to work with and its imposible to make the work look neat with the way its pre-wired. If I am putting my name on the job I redo the panel so its how it whould be if I was working on a stick build.

Always count on doing basement lighting and smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.