Wiring a sauna does code require gfci?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmxer883

Occupation
Industrial electrician
So I have two questions does a 220v sauna need to be a gfci by code?

My thought is use a gfci just to be safe but people dont like to spend the extra couple dollars and I'm unsure if code requires it the instructions don't say anything about one.

Second question is this sauna does not use a neutral just two hots and a ground.
So if I wire a gfci breaker and just hook pig tail to neutral bar it would still work correctly right or is it not doing anything without a loud neutral?

Buck Parrish

What is a Sauna ? I've heard people call outdoor tubs with motors Saunas.

But I'm thinking it is a hot room with eucalyptus oil pored over hot lava rocks. So Is it all self contained? Is the light fed off of the 240v circuit too?

retirede

What is a Sauna ? I've heard people call outdoor tubs with motors Saunas.

But I'm thinking it is a hot room with eucalyptus oil pored over hot lava rocks. So Is it all self contained? Is the light fed off of the 240v circuit too?

It’s basically a hot room.
I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Finland where every home has a sauna. I learned to love spending time in a sauna after a long day. Never once encountered eucalyptus oil. In a steam sauna, you pour water over hot rocks, nothing else.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I used to go to a Gym/Health club that had a sauna. There was one guy that was there in the sauna everytime I was, and everytime he would be shaving, without shaving cream or soap. I think he just came in to shave!😎

Status
Not open for further replies.