Wiring ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
When are the maximum wiring amps acceptable according to the chart? Apparently I cant run a 30 amp rv receptacle off #12 thhn, but the chart says its acceptable for 30 amps. Please answer respectfully

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are many factors involved.
True, 310.15(b)(16) shows an ampacity of 30 amps but as I pointred out in YOUR OTHER thread, you also have to take 240.4 (and 110.14) intro account among other things.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
They are but thats only part of the story.
As Roger suggested above, look at the foot notes on 310.15(B)(16)

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
If you follow the footnote it leads you to 240.4 which tells you in most cases the max is 20 amps.
(there are exceptions but the explanation is lengthy)
Thanks boss. Exactly what I needed to know.
Last question for you or anyone. Why were we aloud to downsize ground of 50 amp services, but not this outlet? I dont mind paying more money for the equipment, I just need to know for my knowledge

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Short answer is because 250.122 allows it.
In general the equipment ground has to be large enough to carry the current needed in a fault situation.
There are guys on here a bunch smarter than me that can give you a more technical answer

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
Short answer is because 250.122 allows it.
In general the equipment ground has to be large enough to carry the current needed in a fault situation.
There are guys on here a bunch smarter than me that can give you a more technical answer
According to B of that article it was dealing with the length of the run. I'll have a 5' max length because I'm putting the receptacle right below the panel. Does that change anything?

Btbamfan4

Occupation
Electrician
I'm under the impression from that article if a 30 amp circuit required, let's say #6, because of voltage "drop" then the ground must be #6 as well. But no voltage drop will be occurring in my situation. I'm so confused lol. We were sitting sub panels out in yards at 100-200 feet from the service while still using #10 grounds. Not one inspector called us on it; not even for the hots or neutral. I'm just now getting into electrical theory because I'm newly licensed and I want to do everything to code.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
At this stage of the game my suggestion is to simply follow 250.122. It is actually all that you need to worry about in 99% of the installs

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks boss. Exactly what I needed to know.
Last question for you or anyone. Why were we aloud to downsize ground of 50 amp services, but not this outlet? I dont mind paying more money for the equipment, I just need to know for my knowledge
The reason larger feeders and circuits can have reduced EGCs is because a short circuit (in a properly-designed and built installation) would be of a short-enough duration as no not heat the EGC and cause insulation damage.

paulengr

Good idea. Please submit to NPFA as public input for the 2023 NEC.

You also have to derate for ambient temperature and more than three current carrying conductors. And when motors arrived involved at a bare minimum you derate to 80% (upsize motor name plate current 125%). But for various intermittent duties and fire pumps and some HVAC it may be derated even further. And some cable types have one rating in dry locations and another in damp/wet areas.

And you most certainly can use the 90 C column if you buy the right lugs and say THHN-2, typically used in switchgear and industrial panels where the extra high rating has a cost incentive.

We’ve been using the same chart since Neher-McGrath came out with it in the 1950s with no issues except when green horns read it and miss all the other “gotchas”.

Status
Not open for further replies.