wiring diagram for lightning arrestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone offer advice as to how to wire a lighting arrestor to protect a well. I have a delta lighting arrestor and it is unclear how to make the connections. the instructions say "connect to the breaker". The lightning arrestor has 2 black wires, a single white and a green. Does this mean I should double lug the blacks under the same breaker that goes out to the well? If this is the case, I am confused as to how wiring the arrestor in parallel wil protect the surge from damaging my panelboard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

480sparky

Here's an image that may help:

deltalp.jpg

Double lugged under the breaker and wired in parallel it is!

Double lugged under the breaker and wired in parallel it is!

Thanks guys.
For some reason I thought that they would actually create a break in the line but I guess not. I guess the question is, how do you know if they are actually still furnctioning. A colleague told me you smell them after a lightning storm. Anyone have any better ideas? wire in a LED? test with a meter for continuity?

bphgravity

Most surge protection devices today have indicators of some kind (LED, site glass, ect.). Those that do not simply need to be monitored for signs of damage or other ill effects from the surge currents. Smell would be one possible indicator of "fried" circuitry.

Obviously, if the structure / service is struck by a lightning strike, the device should be replaced regardless if it shows any sign of taking the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.