Wiring for a future EVSE Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorinena

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I am a homeowner and am planning to wire my garage for a future EVSE. I will run a permit ( Allowed after a quick exam in my county, have done a few times before )

Background - I have 2x200 amp service coming in the house, several empty breakers are available. Basement is unfinished, a through run from panel to garage is through ceiling of the basement ( unifinished ) is about 48 ft. A few years ago Pepco had a special R-PIV rate which was about 2-3 cents / kwh and I had them put in a second meter for my evse charger ( 32amp clipper creek ). This was hardwired with 6-2 NEM cable. Subsequently I have installed solar panels and my original meter is a NEM, and have generally have excess power generation. The current R-PIV rate is abou 9 cents /kwh and is not financially beneficial.

What I am looking to do:
I am planning to install a second circuit so I plan to do the following for now, run a MC 4-4-4 with ground ), to a 14-50 and install a 50 amp breaker. In future, i then have the ability hardwire / upgrade till 68amps, change breaker to the capacity when required. Here is one of the option am looking at for the cable - https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/4-3c-mc-cable-aluminum-armored-metal-clad-cable

My Question

I have been reading forums and talking to other electricians, and have received different opinions, some stating to do a MC -6-3, some stating SEU - 4-4-4-6. When i go through the code ( looks like Montgomery county, MD is at 2017 ), except for me to use the gfci breaker ( new requirement ) for 14-50, there is no actual big difference in using 4-4-4-6 or 4/3 MC..

Before i go ahead and run a permit ( or hire someone to do it ), i just wanted to get the opinion from the experts here on which wire should I use and any gotchas i need to look into.

Thanks,

Montgomery County, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.