Wiring Method with Meltric Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectric123

We have a number of pumps that that pull wastewater out of pits. The motor is at floor level with the pump at the 15' pit bottom and coupled together with a shaft. These pumps need to be lifted out once or twice a year for maintenance so we plan on installing Meltric Motor Disconnect Plugs. The motors are 15HP 480VAC with 10AWG supply conductors.

What will work best for the 6'-8'flexible transition from the Meltric receptacle on the wall to the motor? It is a 4X fairly corrosive environment. The plugs can be ordered with either a cord gland or NPT. SOOW cord would be the easiest to deal with but there's frequent water wash-down and it can possibly be sometimes sitting in a puddle of water. I've seen a few times where cord got nicked and had exposed bare wires. I'm really hesitant about LFMC since the steel fittings would corrode. I've had pretty good success with LFNC but what have other people experienced? I'd really like to hear the pros and cons of different wiring methods.

will be back on Monday

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
We have a number of pumps that that pull wastewater out of pits. The motor is at floor level with the pump at the 15' pit bottom and coupled together with a shaft. These pumps need to be lifted out once or twice a year for maintenance so we plan on installing Meltric Motor Disconnect Plugs. The motors are 15HP 480VAC with 10AWG supply conductors.

What will work best for the 6'-8'flexible transition from the Meltric receptacle on the wall to the motor? It is a 4X fairly corrosive environment. The plugs can be ordered with either a cord gland or NPT. SOOW cord would be the easiest to deal with but there's frequent water wash-down and it can possibly be sometimes sitting in a puddle of water. I've seen a few times where cord got nicked and had exposed bare wires. I'm really hesitant about LFMC since the steel fittings would corrode. I've had pretty good success with LFNC but what have other people experienced? I'd really like to hear the pros and cons of different wiring methods.

will be back on Monday

I would go with the LFNC no corrosion.

iwire

Staff member
we plan on installing Meltric Motor Disconnect Plugs. The motors are 15HP 480VAC with 10AWG supply conductors.

I love Meltric products, good stuff.

However while I know you can order them with NPT fittings I don't think those of us under the NEC can use those NPT threads to attach a raceway.

If you were to use LFMC or LFNC how would you comply with the support rules found in 350.30 or 356.30?

delectric123

I love Meltric products, good stuff.

However while I know you can order them with NPT fittings I don't think those of us under the NEC can use those NPT threads to attach a raceway.

If you were to use LFMC or LFNC how would you comply with the support rules found in 350.30 or 356.30?

Oh boy! I didn't think of those rules! They're not very lenient on that. I need to have more than 3 ft. unsupported in my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.