Wiring Methods For DC Output

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to install a BK Precision 1900B Series DC Power Supply that will output 60VDC at 15A max (900W).

https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/datasheets/en-us/1900B_Series_datasheet.pdf

The load will be a series of cameras installed hundreds of feet away. I don't have a lot of experience installing DC circuits like this and am trying to figure out the proper wiring method for this install - nothing is standing out clearly in the code book to me. My initial thoughts would be that the wiring still needs to be in a raceway (it's not labeled as a class 2 supply, for example), but the outputs are just 2 exposed posts on the back of the device, so this suggests open-air cabling would be ok, but it's not clear to me. Can anybody steer me in the correct direction here, code references perhaps? I'm trying to determine what type of wiring, cable, or raceway, if needed, I should plan to use so I can properly install this thing.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
While DC is typically safer than AC, that won't change the type of wiring allowed.
Your BK Precision PS appears to be a electronics power supply.
You need to dig into Art 725 a bit, and determine the class of the wiring, which is determined by the power,
60 volts at 15 amps is lot of power...and this may be a class 1 circuit and if thats the case, its a chapter 3 wiring method

Why the BK power supply? Have you looked for a listed camera supply?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
That's a bench or test power supply, unarguably probably the worst choice for what you want to use it for with it's adjustable output. Definitely would require Class 1 wiring. As was said, have you looked at legitimate power supplies for this application or is this just something you have lying around? :happysad:

-Hal

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That's a bench or test power supply, unarguably probably the worst choice for what you want to use it for with it's adjustable output. Definitely would require Class 1 wiring. As was said, have you looked at legitimate power supplies for this application or is this just something you have lying around? :happysad:

-Hal

I would agree. In addition, I suspect that the OP has cameras that require a class 2 power supply. One can't just put in 1 large supply that exceeds the class 2 threshold and be compliant even if you used Chapter 3 wiring methods.
That said, there are large power supplies made that can have multiple class 2 outputs if they want a centrally located single power supply.

This is a project by Intel that's being installed in a major professional sports arena and they are supplying the BK power supply and cameras, I just have to install it. I could raise the questions as to why they've decided on the parts that they have, but I don't feel that's my place. Even if I was to use conduit and THHN, or even MC cable, I would expect an enclosure with a knockout at the power supply if it was required. If I terminate wiring on the back of this thing "open air" and then jump over to a j-box so that it's then in conduit - something about that is just off. I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.