Wiring methods in hospitals and AHCA regulations in FL

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
According to 517.13(A) is permissible the use of emt and cable armored ac apropiate for the installation qualifying themselves as egc. (250.118)
Questions
1. The cable armored is only for use in normal branch circuits or is perfectly apropiate for the use in critical and life safety branch as well?
2. The AHCA in FL mandate the use of some specific wiring method in health care facilities? Where can we find AHCA regulation for electrical installation?
Can someone give me some directions in this topic? Thanks in advance

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
AS far as question number 1, using flexible wiring methods for critical and life safety branches is pretty much prohibited, the conditions it is allowed are covered in 517.31(C)(3)(3)

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
According to 517.13(A) is permissible the use of emt and cable armored ac apropiate for the installation qualifying themselves as egc. (250.118)
Questions
1. The cable armored is only for use in normal branch circuits or is perfectly apropiate for the use in critical and life safety branch as well?
2. The AHCA in FL mandate the use of some specific wiring method in health care facilities? Where can we find AHCA regulation for electrical installation?
Can someone give me some directions in this topic? Thanks in advance
In general AHCA doesn't require anything that isn't in various codes. They are more focused on NFPA 99 and NFPA 101 (technically the FBC) than the NEC, but in recent years an effort has been made to collate those two sources. Depending on the inspector, they may be VERY rigid in their interpretation of the doe, but they a still founded in the code. Since you apparently weren't aware of code section 517.31, I strongly suggest you study the entirety of 517 if you are going to be the point person on a hospital project in Florida. Along with reviewing NFPA 99. Especially in regards to operating rooms, procedure rooms and fire alarm survivability per NFPA 72.