Wiring Mirowave & Oven on same circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMSRES

We have a H/O = Home Owner who is been having major issues and repairs w/their Whirlpool oven that is wired on the same circuit w/the microwave. Here is what has been repaired thus far: Per the H/O (The issue is that neither the main burner nor the broiler burner in the oven will light. The electronic igniter board has been changed 2 or 3 times. The main burner in the oven was changed. The wiring harness inside the unit was changed. At one point the technician spoke of changing the main computer board, however I am not certain if that was done)

They have been told the reason the oven is having these issues is because it is wired on the same circuit as the microwave and thus causing interference or shorting out the oven and they were told by the appliance company this is in violation of "County Code.?

We have wired over a 100 homes w/in this subdivision, they have all passed inspection and we have not been made aware that it's against county code to wire the oven and microwave on the same circuit. This is also the ONLY home in this subdivision to have this problem. We believe it?s an appliance issue, not an electrical issue.

When we contacted the county they stated there is no "County Code" and that they go by NEC code.
We do not have an updated NEC book. Is there anything that states the oven and microwave are not to be wired on the same circuit?

Has anyone come across an issue like this and if so what did you do?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
He said failed to ignite, so I'm guessing it is a gas stove.

Can it be temporarily wired to a more dedicated circuit to prove where the problem lies, or is it too intermittent?

480sparky

....We do not have an updated NEC book...

Will this one work? :D

36-1897.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
We have a H/O = Home Owner who is been having major issues and repairs w/their Whirlpool oven that is wired on the same circuit w/the microwave. Here is what has been repaired thus far: Per the H/O (The issue is that neither the main burner nor the broiler burner in the oven will light. The electronic igniter board has been changed 2 or 3 times. The main burner in the oven was changed. The wiring harness inside the unit was changed. At one point the technician spoke of changing the main computer board, however I am not certain if that was done)

They have been told the reason the oven is having these issues is because it is wired on the same circuit as the microwave and thus causing interference or shorting out the oven and they were told by the appliance company this is in violation of "County Code.?

We have wired over a 100 homes w/in this subdivision, they have all passed inspection and we have not been made aware that it's against county code to wire the oven and microwave on the same circuit. This is also the ONLY home in this subdivision to have this problem. We believe it?s an appliance issue, not an electrical issue.

When we contacted the county they stated there is no "County Code" and that they go by NEC code.
We do not have an updated NEC book. Is there anything that states the oven and microwave are not to be wired on the same circuit?

Has anyone come across an issue like this and if so what did you do?

I am stunned to hear you have wired over 100 houses in one subdivision and don't have a code book?
The closest code that applies is for the SA circuit.
210.52(B)(2) No Other Outlets. The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle installed solely for the electrical supply to and support of an electric clock in any of the rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1).
Exception No. 2: Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units.

wawireguy

I think you have to take a look at 210.23(a)(2). I take it that your microwave is a over the range/hood style model? A microwave probably draws well over 50% of the branch circuit rating on a 20amp circuit prohibiting you from using the circuit for another cord connected device.

Status
Not open for further replies.