Wiring Overhead Light to Light Switch that controls outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM519

My house came with no wiring and no overhead lights in any of the bedrooms. Each bedroom had a light switch that controlled an outlet in the room where a lamp could be plugged in. I was able to go into the attic and run cable to each of the light switches and to new overhead lights in 4 rooms and I did this about 10 years ago.
Now I'm adding another new light in the sitting area of our bedroom and I'm just completely blanking on why the circuit breaker is tripping this time, so I must have done something wrong and I'm sure it's simple but I'm just not seeing it and would really appreciate the help.

My setup:
Light switch that has feeding it a 4 wire cable from the outlet. The 4 wire cable consists of the black, white, copper, and red switch cable.
Also feeding into the light switch is a 3 wire cable from the circuit breaker.

If you are facing the wall looking at the light switch, here are the connections:
Top right screw: Red switch wire from the 4-wire cable that is coming from the outlet
Bottom right screw: Short black wire that is tied to the black wire that is coming from the 3 wire circuit breaker cable as well as the black wire that is coming from the 4-wire cable

The two white wires are tied together

Copper/ground wires are tied together and tied to the grounding screw on the outlet

The outlet that is fed into the light switch:
If you are looking at the front of the outlet against the wall here are the connections:

Bottom Left Screw: A short black wire that ties from that screw to the bundle of capped off black wires
Top Left Screw: Red switch wire from the 4 wire cable
Top Right Screw: White cable from the 4 wire cable from the outlet
Bottom Right Screw: White cable from the 3 wire cable from the circuit breaker

With everything hooked up as stated above, there are no issues and the light switch controls one half of the outlet

My new light fixture I ran a 3-wire cable from the light fixture into this light switch box (I wish I had run a 4-wire cable and I'm hoping I can still do this with 3)

Simple question now is how can I wire up my new 3-wire cable that's coming from the light fixture so that I can control the fixture with the switch?
I don't care about maintaining the ability to switch the outlet

Thanks in advance for the help

TM519

I have a BS in electrical engineering and I've done this exact project 5 times before it's just been 10 years and wanted some input before going further to be safe

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Terminology is making this a little confusing, romex with r, b, w, and bare is called xx-3 w/ground

Just think about what they do

Whites are neutrals and don't get switched

Red is usually used for switched conductor

Blacks are usually unswitched hots

Status
Not open for further replies.