Within sight Definition

BayElectric

Occupation
Electric
Good afternoon,

Looking for the current definition for "within sight"
It used to be within 50' and in the same room under 110.29 if I remember correctly, but this section was removed from the code a while back.
Any input?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It depends on the context. The within sight and less than 50' was a requirement for motors in 430. Since then this type of requirement has be added for things like hot tubs, HVAC, and transformers.

To my knowledge there is no NEC wide consistency.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see any good way of enforcing a "within sight" rule unless you could somehow float a disconnect directly above it that could be seen from all the way around it.

JAP>

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It depends on the context. The within sight and less than 50' was a requirement for motors in 430. Since then this type of requirement has be added for things like hot tubs, HVAC, and transformers.

To my knowledge there is no NEC wide consistency.
The following has been in Article 100 since 1981 making it a code wide rule anytime the term is used in any code rule.
In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight).
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in sight from,” “within sight from,” or “within sight of,” and so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
In the NEC 1993, Article 100 - Definitions

"In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight): Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be "In sight from" "within sight from" or "within sight" etc. of another equipment, one of the equipment specified is to be visible and not more than 50 feet (15.24m) distance from the other.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good afternoon,

Looking for the current definition for "within sight"
It used to be within 50' and in the same room under 110.29 if I remember correctly, but this section was removed from the code a while back.
Any input?
I don't recall the rule ever saying anything about the same room. You just have to be able to see it, so if the room walls block the line of sight, it is not within sight. However if you can stand at one of the two pieces of equipment and see the other equipment through a window, it is within sight as long as the viewing path does not exceed 50'.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Chapter 1, definitions, "In sight from"....... The specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 50' distant from the other"22

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Wonder where the 50' comes from? Is that something an Eye doctor said was the distance before something gets "out of sight"?:)

The 50' gives you a head start should you turn the disconnect on the guy actually working on the machine.
Anything less and he's probably going to catch you. :)

JAP>

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't recall the rule ever saying anything about the same room. You just have to be able to see it, so if the room walls block the line of sight, it is not within sight. However if you can stand at one of the two pieces of equipment and see the other equipment through a window, it is within sight as long as the viewing path does not exceed 50'.
Also they can't be in the same room if their both outside. ;)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The 50' gives you a head start should you turn the disconnect on the guy actually working on the machine.
Anything less and he's probably going to catch you. :)

JAP>
IOW the code requires that he can probably catch you. Note also that purpose of the code is to safeguard from 'hazards arising from the use of electricity'. It does not protect you from your coworkers if they harm you by other means.