Wood pole classes

I need to specify some messenger-supported wiring and pole for a 200-amp temporary overhead feeder. Can anyone offer guidance or reference material for how to select the class and spacing for some wood poles?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Well actually they are rated class 1 to 10 depending on the diameter and are available 25 to 165 feet. I think a class 1 is the largest diameter but will depend on the length.

-Hal

I need to specify some messenger-supported wiring and pole for a 200-amp temporary overhead feeder. Can anyone offer guidance or reference material for how to select the class and spacing for some wood poles?
This thread, particularly post #4 may be of help.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pole class, unless this is something you can't back guy, then class may come more into play and that will take some more engineering. Your main concern and parameters for distance between poles will be sag and allowable tension .

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Around here we don't bother with setting poles ourselves. We just give it to a pole line contractor to do. Just tell them what you are running and they will supply the poles, come with an auger/grapple truck and set them. It's no easy job to bore a hole down 5 plus feet and stick a pole into it that can weigh almost 1000 pounds.

-Hal