Work car-truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

We use to have a guy around here that worked out of his station wagon. I mean it was packed full of electrical stuff.
I think they ran him out of town. He was from NY (no offense) and said he hadn't taken the NC test yet. He said he just needed to "sit the test" meaning it was going to be easy. Well he's gone now.

quogueelectric

buckofdurham said:
We use to have a guy around here that worked out of his station wagon. I mean it was packed full of electrical stuff.
I think they ran him out of town. He was from NY (no offense) and said he hadn't taken the NC test yet. He said he just needed to "sit the test" meaning it was going to be easy. Well he's gone now.
They are all moving south to your turf. Dont worry more will come.

Buck Parrish

I traded my van for a truck with side bins and love it. But it does have a covered utility bed with double doors in the back.

Blue heel what are you doing in Raleigh? You should be a red paw

quogueelectric

buckofdurham said:
I traded my van for a truck with side bins and love it. But it does have a covered utility bed with double doors in the back.

Blue heel what are you doing in Raleigh? You should be a red paw
I had to buy a custom cap with side bins and sliders and truck w crew cab can get 10' sticks from windshield to cap back door thru sliders. Ladders on roof. Sweet. I hate vans and love my truck.

blueheels2 said:
I work out of a truck with side bins. It sucks. in my opinion a van is the only way 2 go.

Well vans are good, but hard on the knees. I have a utility body truck and it's great to just walk up to it, open a door and get what you need. Like a van turned inside out.

Mule

Just started a few months ago with a 1/2 ton pickup with minimal storage....thought I stock minimal inventory and work from the supply house, but with fuel cost and in-effecient windshield time, I purchased a express 3/4ton van with all the bins and I've been in it about 2 weeks. IF I keep it organized its really really nice, BUT keeping the aisle clear to walk is essential. The van is a welcoming experience compared to my last truck, BUT I agree a 3/4ton pickup with tall side bins including top shallow bins would be the ticket...I'll drive this rig a couple of years then that's next for me.

SEO

If you are an electrical contractor any type of truck that suits you is fine my company over the years has used all types of trucks. We prefer full size vans but we also have pickups and mini vans. Customers have more confidence in a company that shows up in a truck instead of a car for their electrical service!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
When I was first starting out I had a beat up old car (I was working for someone), beat up, but it started every morning and ran like a champ at 120,000 miles. Sat there one day and figured out that the tools in the trunk and back seat were worth more than the car.:grin:

cowboyjwc said:
When I was first starting out I had a beat up old car (I was working for someone), beat up, but it started every morning and ran like a champ at 120,000 miles. Sat there one day and figured out that the tools in the trunk and back seat were worth more than the car.:grin:
That reminds me of an Project Manager telling me he bought a couple of old used POS hatchback cars, and painted all the windows black. He justmoved them around the site parking lot so he didn't get a ticket, and it was cheaper and safer than renting joboxes.:grin: :roll:

Rewire

bought our first van last December and just purchased the second one this month and I like them, nothing like a rolling billboard for potential customers to see.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
DanZ said:
That reminds me of an Project Manager telling me he bought a couple of old used POS hatchback cars, and painted all the windows black. He justmoved them around the site parking lot so he didn't get a ticket, and it was cheaper and safer than renting joboxes.:grin: :roll:

Met a guy that did almost the same thing. He said everytime he had a van or a nice trailer they broke into it or stole it, he was on like his fourth set of tools, so he went out and bought an old clunker and nobody ever touched it.

I joked that with mine not only didn't they bother it, but people would leave money under the wipers because they felt sorry for me.:grin: :grin:

MAK

Mule said:
Just started a few months ago with a 1/2 ton pickup with minimal storage....thought I stock minimal inventory and work from the supply house, but with fuel cost and in-effecient windshield time, I purchased a express 3/4ton van with all the bins and I've been in it about 2 weeks. IF I keep it organized its really really nice, BUT keeping the aisle clear to walk is essential. The van is a welcoming experience compared to my last truck, BUT I agree a 3/4ton pickup with tall side bins including top shallow bins would be the ticket...I'll drive this rig a couple of years then that's next for me.

What about those vans with the side panels that open up? I've seen them at a trade show a while back. Looks just like a GM van but the recessed panels on the sides are made into doors that open up revealing shelving units that you can access from outside the truck. I think if I were looking for a van I would look into one of those setups.

Mule

MAK said:
What about those vans with the side panels that open up? I've seen them at a trade show a while back. Looks just like a GM van but the recessed panels on the sides are made into doors that open up revealing shelving units that you can access from outside the truck. I think if I were looking for a van I would look into one of those setups.

Yes I like the express that has a door on the drivers side and the passenger...

But for me my budget was 10grand.....I found mine on ebay !!....2006 3/4 express 68000 miles small V8, flew down to Dallas and drove it home....Not a scratch on any of the bins, van is like new, I think I made a good buy

MAK

Ebay?!! Sounds like a good purchase. I'm curiuos, what kind of mileage does the V8 get? I am driving a Ford with a V6 which gets around 13 mpg (max) but I am always on the gas trying to get to cruising speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.