Work site trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

Running a service to a temp. trailer on a work site. I an running 4 wire(2-HOTS 1 NEUTRAL 1 GROUND) from an existing panel. Do I still have to drive a ground rod at the trailer? I think yes but looking for artical number. THANKS

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Running a service to a temp. trailer on a work site. I an running 4 wire(2-HOTS 1 NEUTRAL 1 GROUND) from an existing panel. Do I still have to drive a ground rod at the trailer? I think yes but looking for artical number. THANKS

The ground from the panel also has to be insulated.

fmtjfw

It's a subpanel

It's a subpanel

It is a subpanel, neutral and ground must be separated. It is a separate structure, presumably not residential with a single circuit, grounding electrode required.

fmtjfw

Code please?

110.54(B) Equipment Grounding Conductors. An equipment grounding conductor shall be run with circuit conductors inside the metal raceway or inside the multiconductor cable jacket. The equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to be insulated or bare.

225.4 <exception>
250.120(B)

fmtjfw

I Stand Corrected, maybe

I Stand Corrected, maybe

110.54(B) Equipment Grounding Conductors. An equipment grounding conductor shall be run with circuit conductors inside the metal raceway or inside the multiconductor cable jacket. The equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to be insulated or bare.

225.4 <exception>
250.120(B)

550.32(B)(4) and 550.10(I)(1)(2) together may be the only out allowing a non-insulating grounding conductor.

550.10(B) required insulated grounding in cord

550.10(I)(1) Mast Weatherhead or Raceway. Where the calculated load exceeds 50 amperes or where a permanent feeder is used, the supply shall be by means of either of the following:
(1) One mast weatherhead installation, installed in accordance with Article 230, containing four continuous, insulated, color-coded feeder conductors, one of which shall be an equipment grounding conductor
(2) A metal raceway or rigid nonmetallic conduit from the disconnecting means in the mobile home to the underside of the mobile home, with provisions for the attachment to a suitable junction box or fitting to the raceway on the underside of the mobile home [with or without conductors as in 550.10(I)(1)]. The manufacturer shall provide written installation instructions stating the proper feeder conductor sizes for the raceway and the size of the junction box to be used.

550.32 Service Equipment (B) Manufactured Home Service Equipment.
(4) Bonding and grounding of the service shall be in accordance with Part I through Part V of Article 250.

550.33(A)(1) required insulated grounding conductor

renosteinke

I'll admit I pictured a different trailer at the beginning of the thread than I did at the end!

Do you mean a trailer like a mobile home, that wil sit there for some time? Then I'd apply 'mobile home' rules: Power to a pedestal, ground rod at pedestal, cable to trailer.

Do you mean one of those steel shipping containers? Again, power to a pedestal, etc.

Or, do you mean one of those 20-ft. trailers guys tow around town on a daily basis? Then I'd just run the cable; all you have is a really big toaster on wheels.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Cobb county Georgia treats an office trailer the same as a mobile home because it has restrooms and cooking facilities (microwave) They will not allow an unisulated ground run to it. (One of three times I have failed an inspection in over thirty years, it was political anyway, the county did not like the general contractor)

Status
Not open for further replies.