Working room clearance for LG Chem Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Hi All,

curious your take on clearances for newer lithium battery packs installed in residences. We recently put one in a house with very limited space available, ended up putting in above a built in cabinet, a location the homeowner was pushing for.

I told him worst case scenario if the inspector does not like it he'll have to remove the cabinet. He was Ok with that.

But my question is about working room clearance (Article 110) and what it actually applies to. Panels, obviously, they are worked in while energized regularly.

But a battery? Obviously the door for wiring will be reasonably accessible, but do all the clearances apply here?

thanks

Adamjamma

Batteries are in article 490... 10 in the 2017... and you have stuff about air space, covering the terminals, and so forth... there does have to be an air space but, it all depends upon type of battery as well... and what ventilation it needs when it charges.

excuse me-480

pv_n00b

Yes, it's NEC 110.26 and is treated like any electrical equipment. Section 110.26(A)(3) would say no to the cabinet. When NFPA 855 comes out expect there to be significantly more guidance about this.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Hi All,

curious your take on clearances for newer lithium battery packs installed in residences. We recently put one in a house with very limited space available, ended up putting in above a built in cabinet, a location the homeowner was pushing for.

I told him worst case scenario if the inspector does not like it he'll have to remove the cabinet. He was Ok with that.

But my question is about working room clearance (Article 110) and what it actually applies to. Panels, obviously, they are worked in while energized regularly.

But a battery? Obviously the door for wiring will be reasonably accessible, but do all the clearances apply here?

thanks

Depending on your application, I would ensure that you could take off the top cover if needed. PM me if you need know how I know this.

I agree with others that the 480.9 requires 110.26 to be applied, notwithstanding that the rest of 480 has almost no relevance to the LG Chem product. The code has a ways to go to catch up with what's going on with 'batteries', but I doubt this particular requirement will change.

jumper

Depending on your application, I would ensure that you could take off the top cover if needed. PM me if you need know how I know this.

I agree with others that the 480.9 requires 110.26 to be applied, notwithstanding that the rest of 480 has almost no relevance to the LG Chem product. The code has a ways to go to catch up with what's going on with 'batteries', but I doubt this particular requirement will change.

Holy smokes! You saying that I answered a PV related question correctly?

Jumper is doing a happy dance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.