Working space violation.

nizak

I have a situation where the HVAC contractor has routed a AC line set on the floor directly in front of the electrical panel.

It is about 4” tall and runs through the 36” floor to ceiling clear space in front of the panel.

Is it code compliant to build a 5” tall section of floor that extends out 36” and covers the obstruction?

In a sense a platform.
It’s in a commercial space mechanical room and aesthetics really aren’t a concern.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
They did add a section about this situation up to 6inches bellow the panel. I can't remember the article but it's one of the recent 2020 or 2023 changes. It's for the allowance of a deep wireway or a concrete step bellow the panel but might work for this situation

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They did add a section about this situation up to 6inches bellow the panel. I can't remember the article but it's one of the recent 2020 or 2023 changes. It's for the allowance of a deep wireway or a concrete step bellow the panel but might work for this situation
It is in 110.26(A)(3), but would not see it applying for this application. It was intended to permit the commonly installed housekeeping pads under large equipment. I would not see the HVAC lines as being equipment associated with the electrical installation. (the code change is underlined in the text below)
110.26(3) Height of Working Space.
The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to a height of 2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater. Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment or support structures, such as concrete pads, associated with the electrical installation and located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the front of the electrical equipment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
IMO, also yes. You are constructing a platform that will encompass the entire working space. The height of working space, as required by 110.26(3), begins at that platform.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
It is in 110.26(A)(3), but would not see it applying for this application. It was intended to permit the commonly installed housekeeping pads under large equipment. I would not see the HVAC lines as being equipment associated with the electrical installation. (the code change is underlined in the text below)
If the step was part of the support structure I think it would fly

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I have a follow up questions to this, if the platform Nizak was constructing was made out of metal,

1) is it required to be bonded to the panel board?

2) should it be bonded to the panel board?

I have seen installations where a clean room for food processing has metal platforms and the room's panelboards are installed on those. In my mind, I want to bond the metal platform to ensure an equal potential point between the panel and the platform incase of inadvertent contact or energization. Or maybe a step potential between the stair and the water puddling where the food processing equipment is. I am just not entirely sure if that would be required or even advisable.