World's first DFCI (AFCI+GFCI) receptacle is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnipman

Thanks to Gene B for finding this information:

The world's first DFCI receptacle is now released, but don't ask me where to buy it...the only place that has it listed online is Home Depot and they are "out of stock" - even Leviton's website does not sell them yet. I could have used one of these yesterday. I am sure supply houses will have them soon. Anyone know when you can buy them?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=76642&minisite=10251

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leviton-introduces-industrys-first-dual-function-receptacle-300225184.html

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...h-LED-Indicator-White-R02-AGTR1-0KW/206804820

peter d

Not knowing much at all about AFCI requirements what would the application be? :?

Don't we still have to protect the branch wiring?

Yes but with a few exceptions, 50' of #12 and 75' of #14 is permitted to the first outlet as long as it has no splices. So, assuming you meet those requirements, you could use these for your counter top and laundry receptacles. It would also come in handy for branch circuit extensions in these areas.

iwire

Staff member
Yes but with a few exceptions, 50' of #12 and 75' of #14 is permitted to the first outlet as long as it has no splices. So, assuming you meet those requirements, you could use these for your counter top and laundry receptacles. It would also come in handy for branch circuit extensions in these areas.

Thanks, last time I was paying attention to AFCIs I think it was like 6' of metal cable / raceway from the panel or some such nonsense.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Not knowing much at all about AFCI requirements what would the application be? :?

Don't we still have to protect the branch wiring?
In my experience, receptacle replacement is the first best use. When the existing grounding type, or GFCI type receptacle at the kitchen counter gets sloppy or bad, this single device satisfies 406.4(D). Similar situations are scattered about.

The press release states that it is ideal for replacement of existing receptacles on ungrounded wiring methods. The challenge will be satisfying the cubic inch box volume requirement, depending upon each existing outlet box installation.

chris1971

It'll help meet code on those reno's where i can't find 2 poll afci breakers ~RJ~

We had an issue last December trying to use a 2-pole homeline AFCI circuit breaker in a 208 volt panel. Circuit breaker is Not rated to operate on a 208 Volt system according to Sq. D. The dual function receptacle will another option we can use.?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We had an issue last December trying to use a 2-pole homeline AFCI circuit breaker in a 208 volt panel. Circuit breaker is Not rated to operate on a 208 Volt system according to Sq. D. The dual function receptacle will another option we can use.?

Did Square D really mean that it would work in a 120/240 panel but not in a 208Y/120 panel?
Or did they mean to say that it would not operate on the high leg in a 120/240 three phase delta four wire panel because the stinger is 208V to ground?
I could see either one being the situation, and would like to know for sure what their official response is.
It is also possible that they do not want you to use it in a 120/208 panel with two of three phases just because they have not tested it in that configuration yet.

chris1971

Did Square D really mean that it would work in a 120/240 panel but not in a 208Y/120 panel?
Or did they mean to say that it would not operate on the high leg in a 120/240 three phase delta four wire panel because the stinger is 208V to ground?
I could see either one being the situation, and would like to know for sure what their official response is.
It is also possible that they do not want you to use it in a 120/208 panel with two of three phases just because they have not tested it in that configuration yet.

They stated that it wasn't designed to be used in a 120/208 volt panel. That's what Square D tech support told me in November of last year. We ended up installing a 2-pole 20 amp GFCI circuit breaker and AFCI receptacles. This was for the SABC that we were moving a few receptacles in the backsplash area.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They stated that it wasn't designed to be used in a 120/208 volt panel. That's what Square D tech support told me in November of last year. We ended up installing a 2-pole 20 amp GFCI circuit breaker and AFCI receptacles. This was for the SABC that we were moving a few receptacles in the backsplash area.

I have seen the boxes with a label saying 208Y/120 with a large nul going through it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not going to work well on a 120V circuit either.:cool:

Looks like someone at HD was in a hurry to post this on their site.

SmartlockPro 15 Amp 12-Volt Dual Function Circuit Interrupter DFCI Receptacle with LED Indicator - White

iwire

Staff member
In my experience, receptacle replacement is the first best use. When the existing grounding type, or GFCI type receptacle at the kitchen counter gets sloppy or bad, this single device satisfies 406.4(D). Similar situations are scattered about.

The press release states that it is ideal for replacement of existing receptacles on ungrounded wiring methods. The challenge will be satisfying the cubic inch box volume requirement, depending upon each existing outlet box installation.

Thanks Al, I am not going down the 406.4 road with you again. :D

Just kidding, have a great day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.