Would like to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I am looking a job now that is causing me to doubt myself.

Residential: 2 story, built in 1986.

1. Install three ceiling fans on switch (no light kit)on 2nd floor. No ceiling outlet and a single pole switch for receptacle lighting.

2. Replace existing fan with a new one.

3. Add 4 120 volt receptacles in basement, two in finished area and two in unfinished work area.

Can get above the rooms on the 2nd floor. The finished side of the basement has a drop ceiling with access to the panel.

One man show. What kind of price would be reasonable?

Thanks

Norb

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Would like to know...

I look at it from the prespective of a DIYer and how long it would take me to do it myself, and figure someone more experienced would take much less time. Here is my guess on hours (assumes all Romex).

1. 2 hours each. Total 6 hours. Use the $20 fan bracket that you can install from underneath.

2. 1 hour.

3. 3 hours.

Total 10 hours labor.

$150 parts (does not include fans).

Based on these guesses, I figure about $800.

<added>

Assumes you can get power from an existing circuit for the fans.

[ May 23, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

mdshunk

1) .33 hours to install each fan rated box from above. .5 hours to fish down to each wall switch and change connections around on switch loop to feed hot and neutral to switch. 1.0 hours to install and balance each fan. That's 1.83 hours per fan for a total of 5-1/2 hours. Assume 36 feet of 14-2 romex total, 3 fan rated boxes (nonmetallic angelo or westinghouse), 3 new single pole switches. Inspector wanting this new stuff AFCI'd = mucho extra $$

2) 1.0 hours to r/r ceil fan. Extra $$ for discovery of non fan rated mounting.

3)All on existing ckt or new one? Assume 10' 1/2" emt, 2 handy boxes, GFI, REC, 40' 12-2 romex on unfinished side, 2 single gang smart boxes, 2 recs, 40 feet of 12-2 on finished side, and assume 1-QO120 and 3/8 romex connector. .33 hours per device, for a total of 1.33 hours.

I get 550 to 650, depending on how much crap is sitting around that will be in my way.

[ May 23, 2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

Occupation
Inspector

It's nice to know that I'm not that far off base. The figure I came up with was $575 - $600. Being the only one in the company to bounce things off of can get me in trouble. It is nice to have a site like this to discuss these types of situations.

Thanks for your replies and I look forward to further posts.

Norb

dave0317

i would figure bout 600-700,i also agree on the underneath access boxes. the bad thing is i can almost count on gitting laughed out of the house with this price.

mdshunk

Originally posted by dave0317:
the bad thing is i can almost count on gitting laughed out of the house with this price.
Then you really don't want to work for them. Explain price one time and move on.

mtn_elec

Well now that you all are giving prices,how much would you charge for a 30 Amps Dryer Ckt. about 70' long from bsmt(removing one existing 20 amps 240v circuit for A/C not in use and using a 30 A double pole for Dryer) to outside wall, then all the way along side of house then up to the second fl to a porch through siding and porch wall and then at last to a 1900 box, all in 1/2" pvc 4 wire, 4 pulling elbows or LB's.

celtic

mtn, for us in NJ, at LEAST $500.

mtn...give me a number over here: Just for fun...(another bid)
....if you have the time.

[Edit: link to other post]

[ May 23, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

blackrd

I just did 4 fans (no boxes), fish walls, etc. Add 3 way switching in garage, mount light outside garage door, and run new circuit for sump. Price? $1650, and I think I was low by $350 or so. But, these things happen. Fishing the walls from the attic took much longer than anticipated. After this job I bought another set of fishsticks, they worked so well I wanted to make sure I have plenty. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.