Would you consider a drinking fountain a sink for GFCI requirements?

Heelertreats

Occupation
Commissioning
Hi folks. I’m looking at a water fountain that is correctly protected by GFCI. But there are non-GFCI receptacles installed well-within 6’ of the water fountain. The fountain has what could be called a bowl, an bottle-filling station, a direct drinking outlet and a drain.

I lean toward calling this a sink for code purposes and requiring the nearby receptacles to be GFCI protected, but what do y’all think?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
422.5 includes bottle fill stations as requiring GFCI for themselves.

I have called drinking fountains "sinks" before, but they are technically not.

If the goal is to reduce the possibility of shock to someone washing a pluggable appliance in a sink then a fountain in a hallway or similar is not likely to have that occur. It is unlikely someone is going to put a toaster in the drinking fountain for spicy tasting water.

If it is in a break room, it is a tad more likely if someone wanted "filtered" water for the blender or those insta-hot kettles for tea. And it wouldn't be required by code, but rather just a judgement call.

Heelertreats

Occupation
Commissioning
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insights. The unit in question is one of these standard fountain/filler units, mounted to a column in a heavy manufacturing environment, and there's a quad receptacle about three feet away from the "rim".

Attachments

• 60NJ95_AS01.jpg
    60NJ95_AS01.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 4

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
However, nearby receptacles would not be safer with GFCI protection.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Hi folks. I’m looking at a water fountain that is correctly protected by GFCI. But there are non-GFCI receptacles installed well-within 6’ of the water fountain. The fountain has what could be called a bowl, an bottle-filling station, a direct drinking outlet and a drain.

I lean toward calling this a sink for code purposes and requiring the nearby receptacles to be GFCI protected, but what do y’all think?

Lets ask this question:

Do you drink out of sink?

Do you drink out of drinking fountain?