Wrapping 120Vac Electrical cords in Aluminum Foil to Deter Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I was asked if I thought wrapping common 120Vac appliance/lamp cords used a home was an acceptable or too dangerous of a practice?
This person read they could deter their animals from biting/playing with electrical cords by wrapping them in aluminum foil.

My first thought was not a good idea at all from a safety standpoint. The most obvious to me would be a concern about any possible nicks in a wire being made even more greatly exposed creating an even larger hazard.

I told them I thought it was a bad idea but they were frustrated and insisted they wanted to try it to see if it might work.
I told them if they insisted to inspect the cords for any nicks and apply with the power off. Remove promptly if it did not work.

Does this idea bother me more than it should?

Any additional reasons I might cite?

kwired

Electron manager
I have a cat that it just may give more enticement to play with the cord.

Otherwise I see it as less of a hazard then using a cord in a wet location in general.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It would be about the same as Aluminum MC cable if you think about it.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
True, except there is no path to ground from the foil.
And given the fact that MC is not recognized as an EGC (see 250.118) means it may not always have a low impedance path the clear a fault either.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I prefer to use the spiral plastic wire bundle wrap. It is not as flexible as the cord itself, but good enough for most purposes.
And IMHO it looks a lot better than foil.
I would worry that people would think that I line my hat with it too. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I prefer to use the spiral plastic wire bundle wrap. It is not as flexible as the cord itself, but good enough for most purposes.
And IMHO it looks a lot better than foil.
I would worry that people would think that I line my hat with it too. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had completely forgot about old appliance cords having that metal strain relief until I read your post.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Appreciate the replies

Appreciate the replies

Thank you for your replies.
I realize that I tend to lean on the side of safety more than most and why your replies are so appreciated.

The spiral wrap was tried and also pepper from what I recall.

The foil is floating and there is no intentional ground return path. The increased probability of someone touching the aluminum foil than a single nicked area was my concern.

kwired

Electron manager
I would use a spring like we use on barbecue flexible gas connections.
I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

I bet it works. :)

Without the spring on the gas hose the squirrels will eat through it within a month. :rant:

Besoeker

Where mine are exposed I put them in white trunking. I did that to make them tidy but it reduces the risk of the dog biting into them.
And I make them not accesible. Squirrels could do damage but, with an 80 pound beast with a hard wired prey drive, they are pretty scarce around here...:D

markebenson

Thank you for your replies.
I realize that I tend to lean on the side of safety more than most and why your replies are so appreciated.

The spiral wrap was tried and also pepper from what I recall.

The foil is floating and there is no intentional ground return path. The increased probability of someone touching the aluminum foil than a single nicked area was my concern.

I would not do the foil makes no sense. It may or may not deter the pet and if the pet continues to chew it could create a larger electrode to kill the pet not to mention a dangerous foil for persons.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would not do the foil makes no sense. It may or may not deter the pet and if the pet continues to chew it could create a larger electrode to kill the pet not to mention a dangerous foil for persons.

The intent of the foil is to create an unpleasant "mouth feel" for the pet, not act as a true barrier. Fido gets the foil in his teeth, doesn't like it, and stops chewing. Well, on that item at least.

kwired

Electron manager
The intent of the foil is to create an unpleasant "mouth feel" for the pet, not act as a true barrier. Fido gets the foil in his teeth, doesn't like it, and stops chewing. Well, on that item at least.
Might be the intent, experience tells me not all pets respond to some of those kinds of remedies of using things the pet presumably won't like to prevent certain behaviors/activities.

Been told cats don't like the crinkle sound of newspaper before. I have a cat that if you give him a newspaper and he is in the right mood he becomes a paper shredder.

Status
Not open for further replies.