Xformer size for step up step down to dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last May, I started one of my first threads here when my (25 kVA) transformer decided to kick the bucket. It started an interesting discussion about sizing, this particular pot serves only my house - at the time the service was established in 1985 the house was a small (~900 SF) modular home. So for the next few weeks I naturally looked up a lot at pole mounted transformers to eyeball sizes. I did see a few 15s, but not many. It seems that my local POCO (BGE) puts in a lot of 25s, even for single home use. I assume it varies with utilities across the country.

I would think my house would work just fine powered with a 15. This is the new shiny 25. I don't pay to magnetize it, so I guess I don't care.

I think I said this earlier in the thread, but both utilities here provide a 25 KVA for dwellings by default, either pad or pole. I did a house a year ago that was all electric, plus electric heat: about 13 KW of baseboards. This was the utility that lets us run primary, it was only about 500 feet from the pole to the transformer pad, but two runs because it's a Delta distribution system so they have to use two bushing transformers. I asked what size transformer they were going to put in due to the electric heat, he said 25 will be fine.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What are those 3kva ones doing?
They are wrong inputs.
Someone didn’t know the size and put numbers in the fields to complete the order.
These require field checks to get the correct size and get entered in the computer.
Basically someone didn’t want to send out for the correct information.

Status
Not open for further replies.