Yellow with green stripe as EGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
So I walked a sizable job with an inspector yesterday, mostly just to let him in for my boss to show a resolved issue and there are a few runs between machines that have a EGC pulled in. The inspector commented that 'yellow with green stripe' is not allowed per NEC. It was not the main issue at all but he said he did not want to see it in the future. I said I would put green tape on it and he said not allowed either? The wire did look mostly yellow with a green stripe. Where is this covered in the NEC? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it really yellow with a green stripe? Or green with more than one yellow stripe? I'm guessing that a yellow conductor with a green strip is not even readily available.

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Is it really yellow with a green stripe? Or green with more than one yellow stripe? I'm guessing that a yellow conductor with a green strip is not even readily available.
Yeah we both looked at it really close in several places, its entirely yellow with a very small green stripe.
I should have got a photo but I am not all technical like most of you.
The inspector say he has been seeing this and was asking questions about it, like whos selling it.
I was just trying to get home it was Friday at 4.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah we both looked at it really close in several places, its entirely yellow with a very small green stripe.
I should have got a photo but I am not all technical like most of you.
The inspector say he has been seeing this and was asking questions about it, like whos selling it.
I was just trying to get home it was Friday at 4.
I was wondering that too, where are they getting this product because it doesn't seem like it would be used very often.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Was it wire already installed as some part of an assembly? Like many of the products supplied from overseas.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you all for your feedback!
I updated my boss and he said he has allot of this wire and the only other use for the wire would be as a hot.
Which seems like a bad idea to me.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I updated my boss and he said he has allot of this wire and the only other use for the wire would be as a hot.

I don't see how you could use it as a hot with that green stripe.

In my opinion this is just silly. Green with a yellow stripe or yellow with a green stripe. What's the difference? Because the NEC says so? And why is that?

-Hal

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see how you could use it as a hot with that green stripe.

In my opinion this is just silly. Green with a yellow stripe or yellow with a green stripe. What's the difference? Because the NEC says so?
If are you proposing its splitting hairs and its OK to use yellow wire with a green stripe as EGC I tend to agree.
If its not allowed as a EGC, it can't be a noodle,
then what are the other options other than a hot?
Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Gene, please update your profile to show at minimum the state you are in.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'm guessing that this wire was cheap surplus.

My understanding is that green is used as a hot in traffic light applications, where the wire colors match the light colors. There will also be tracer colors to organize which signals the wires are going to.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.