Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

On page 753 (2008 codebook) table C.10(A) says I can install 6 4/0 THWN conductors in a 2.5" conduit (schedule 40 PVC).

On page 678, table 5 says a 4/0 THWN conductor has an approximate sq. in. area of .3237. Multiply that by 6 and you get 1.942.

On page 675, schedule 40 PVC has a 40% area of 1.878.

Since 1.942 is larger than 1.878, may I install 6 4/0 THWN conductors in the 2.5" PVC per table C.10(A) even though the math says no?

Am I missing something?

For those that need to know, the 2.5" conduit is existing and we need to maximize the size of our conductors. Installing a larger conduit is not allowed (at this time).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's early here, so sleep may effect my understanding, but, you're missing "A", I believe.
Table C10(A) is for compact conductors
Table 5A, Pg 680, is for compact conductrs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On page 753 (2008 codebook) table C.10(A) says I can install 6 4/0 THWN conductors in a 2.5" conduit (schedule 40 PVC).

On page 678, table 5 says a 4/0 THWN conductor has an approximate sq. in. area of .3237. Multiply that by 6 and you get 1.942.

On page 675, schedule 40 PVC has a 40% area of 1.878.

Since 1.942 is larger than 1.878, may I install 6 4/0 THWN conductors in the 2.5" PVC per table C.10(A) even though the math says no?

Am I missing something?

For those that need to know, the 2.5" conduit is existing and we need to maximize the size of our conductors. Installing a larger conduit is not allowed (at this time).

You may not do this legally...:smile:

hardworkingstiff

It's early here, so sleep may effect my understanding, but, you're missing "A", I believe.
Table C10(A) is for compact conductors
Table 5A, Pg 680, is for compact conductrs.

You are correct, but I just checked table C.11 and the problem remains the same. This table also says I can install 6 4/0 conductors in the 2.5" conduit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe Type A is a PVC product designed to be used only encased in concrete, and has a different wall thicknes from "EB", Sch40

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Table C.10 seems to say you can do it. But your AHJ might have issue with the first line of the annex:

"Annex A is not part of the requirements....."

So if the Code section says you can't, and the annex says you can, I would tend to give more weight to the code section.

And of course, if you have a long run, or has a lot of bends, you will probably never get them pulled in no matter what the code says.

Steve

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I was taught to only use the conduit fill tables as a rule of thumb, for exact fill, you need to calculate manually. Those tables have more than one error in them too, better to be safe and double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.