You Know ALL the Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Do they still make insulation dams for recessed lights? If so, who's the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Mark

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Not really. I should have been more specific. Customer has some really OLD can lights that are not IC rated, so they need to have the insulation held back 3 inches to keep the fixture from overheating. There are some bad homemade dams there now, but they aren't really doing the job.

Thanks,

Mark

eds

I have 75 Juno IC20 and IC22 to install in a home that they are going to spray Iceyene insulation on the sheet rock itself, thus enclosing my can in this foam. I think that this product might work to correct this, I suppose that the framers could box around them but this looks easier.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
eds said:
I have 75 Juno IC20 and IC22 to install in a home that they are going to spray Iceyene insulation on the sheet rock itself, thus enclosing my can in this foam. I think that this product might work to correct this, I suppose that the framers could box around them but this looks easier.

It may but the purpose of the foam is seal the entire space. You are leaving a huge hole-- they will fill it. I have seen many houses done and most often they spray the roof rafters and the entire attic is sealed-- no vents, etc.

mdshunk

Rather than that Progress part, go to the HVAC supply house and get some "Thermopanning". The exact same stuff, but it's in stock and 1/4th the cost.

1_2.jpg

eds

the reason behind spraying the sheet rock is two fold one is the amount of roof sheating that would need to be covered all roof pitches are 14/12 and they want to install 2 attic fans so the need to have vents. The panning looks like a pretty good idea and I suppose that a complete box around the fixture and the foam sprayed on the box would suffice, any thoughts on heat build up inside the box and tripping the thermals these are IC rated cans

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A couple of years ago, I rewired a completely gutted Civil War-era house in Richmond's historic Church Hill (remember Patrick Henry's speech?), and the HO wanted a particular 5" recessed lighting can with swivel-eye trim over each fire-place mantle.

Naturally, for whatever reason, the particular can didn't come in an IC-rated version, so I improvised by making simple 1-foot-cube cages using 1/2"-mesh metal-fabric screening for the three upstairs cans to keep the blown-in insulation 3" away.

I made each cage with five sides from a single piece of mesh cut into a cross shape, and the bottom side open to the drywall. The inspector loved the simple and effective design. The mesh allows heat to disperse while keeping the fluff at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.