Your DMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
sure, but in auto-range mode there is no "setting" of the dial. it can read only up to its max and down to its min, etc.
and i do not disagree with you, one needs to be fairly confident about what it is they are about to measure. crazy bizarre accidents do happen, but hopefully we keep those events rare.
Depends on the task at hand.

Majority of time I am looking for 12-500 volts and usually don't care exact level just need to know if close to whatever is nominal, or performing more of a basic continuity check. Auto range is default setting when you switch it to any measuring setting - ACV, DCV, Ohms...

Most of what I am going to measure there is no need to select a range. When there is a need then I select that range.

Conrad

Mastech MS2115B failure

Mastech MS2115B failure

Well reading this thread, I have to say I got what I deserved, but I did buy a Mastech MS2115B True RMS clamp meter. Here I am about 6 months later looking at a blank display. This was a meter I got and kept for convenience, I left in my truck should it ever come in handy when I didn't have my tool bag.
I probably used it about 10 times total (including playing with the new meter) used it on a truck fuel pump and put it away. Brought it out again for whatever reason and nothing but a blank display. Of course I tried new battery.
I contacted the vendor I bought it from, No reply.
I contacted Mastech from an address on their webpage, I did receive a response, they directed me to their US branch.
I contacted Mastech US, No reply.
Lesson learned (again), does anyone know of service center or working contact number or address?
Its a shame, I did like the meter, it was around $70. But $70.00 for 10 uses is a bit high.
Buyer Beware

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well reading this thread, I have to say I got what I deserved, but I did buy a Mastech MS2115B True RMS clamp meter. Here I am about 6 months later looking at a blank display. This was a meter I got and kept for convenience, I left in my truck should it ever come in handy when I didn't have my tool bag.
I probably used it about 10 times total (including playing with the new meter) used it on a truck fuel pump and put it away. Brought it out again for whatever reason and nothing but a blank display. Of course I tried new battery.
I contacted the vendor I bought it from, No reply.
I contacted Mastech from an address on their webpage, I did receive a response, they directed me to their US branch.
I contacted Mastech US, No reply.
Lesson learned (again), does anyone know of service center or working contact number or address?
Its a shame, I did like the meter, it was around $70. But $70.00 for 10 uses is a bit high.
Buyer Beware

At $70 it's a throw away.

SG-1

A word of caution about leaving meters in your vehicles then using them to measure voltage. I was shown a really nasty picture last week where a meter that was always kept in a truck had moisture condensation inside. That caused an arc flash when the user tried to measure voltage. I presume he was on a 480/277 system, but that was not stated, neither was the brand of meter.

Sahib

A word of caution about leaving meters in your vehicles then using them to measure voltage. I was shown a really nasty picture last week where a meter that was always kept in a truck had moisture condensation inside. That caused an arc flash when the user tried to measure voltage. I presume he was on a 480/277 system, but that was not stated, neither was the brand of meter.

This also shows need for PPE while taking measurements in a power system.

Status
Not open for further replies.