Your minimum PPE for residential breaker box work

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does your company have an electrical safety program other than 70e?

Residential should be less than 150v to ground so hard to make sustained arc conditions, also low incident energy available in most situations

The standard for residential is very low. Your competitors will have a guy in flip flops and a polyester hood and no gloves do the work. You don't want to be that guy but personally for residential it's running shoes, leather gloves of some sort, and cotton clothes. I wear a baseball cap always though too especially in the attic.
And safety glasses. Always safety glasses.

I had an incident where some 24V wires touched and let out a nasty little spark. Something hit my eye and although it didn’t hurt, I could notice a blurry area. I wear contact lenses and when I took it off, a hot blob of copper had hit it and embedded/melted into it. The contact lens likely saved my eye, but I’m never going to take that chance again. I wear safety glasses whenever I have to work hot, even on low energy circuits.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
And safety glasses. Always safety glasses.

I had an incident where some 24V wires touched and let out a nasty little spark. Something hit my eye and although it didn’t hurt, I could notice a blurry area. I wear contact lenses and when I took it off, a hot blob of copper had hit it and embedded/melted into it. The contact lens likely saved my eye, but I’m never going to take that chance again. I wear safety glasses whenever I have to work hot, even on low energy circuits.
I wear prescribed safety glasses at work. I'm really blind without them